Luang Prabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
November 12th 2013
Published: November 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

November 6/13 HK to Luang Prabang



Luang Prabang is still an ocean of tranquility. Things have changed since I was here 8-9 years ago but it has retained its character. We arrived early afternoon after an early departure from HK.



We started right into the temple visits after checking in to the hotel. The Xiengthong Palace Hotel is right be side the largest and nicest temple in town. The hotel was a palace/residence for the last king. It is lovely and full of friendly well trained staff.



The first stop was Wat Xieng Thong, a temple complex dating from 1500. It is the only temple complex in Luang Prabang that was not burned by the Thai's in the last invasion in 1860. It is lovely and peaceful. Then off to Wat Mal. Lots of color and gold leaf. The Wat's had some very colourful. glass mosaics dating from 1900 . The mosaics illustrated everyday life in Laos. They were somewhat unusual and I have not seen them elsewhere.



Temples aside, the next big attraction in town is the night market. The market is full of vendors selling silk everything: cushion covers, scarves, table runners, clothes, coffee, tea, various crafts and so on. Most of the silk products are machine made not hand woven. Apparently the stalls are too expensive for the people trying to sell hand woven products. We have purchased an excellent selection of scarves and I believe Deb will be setting up a shop in Calgary. And this is only day one.



It is very pleasant wandering down the main street of Luang Prabang passing shops, guest houses and temples. As the evening approached the monks started to appear outside the wats/temples. They do not really like having their pictures taken. There is the smell of wood smoke in the air as well as a bit of a smoky haze. Kids are busy being kids and playing in the street. Its a warm, smoky walk in the late afternoon heat....you don't want to rush!



A quick note on Buddhist monks: they are not like Christian monks. Our guide, Khamlah, and the monk I talked to both lived in villages without a high school. They were living as monks in town for 4-5 years until they finished high school.



Dinner was at a quiet local restaurant along the Mekong River. Pleasant, relaxing and good food.



There are a couple of big changes in Luang Parbang since I was last here. First of all the bicycles are largely gone. we saw the odd adult and young kids on them. At night the teenagers cruise the streets on their Honda's. There are vans everywhere. Tourists have more choices then an tuk tuk on open backed half ton truck The night market is much larger and has both way more vendors and items for sale. There are many more shops and restaurants then I remember. And some of the shops are very upscale. Fortunately all the upscale shops sell local products so we are saved from Louis Vitton and Starbucks.





It was pleasant wandering the streets, both along the Mekong and the main street past the temples. The hotel at the quiet end of town . Our hotel balcony overlooks the streets and local homes. It is wonderful looking over the roof tops at the palm trees. (I am writing this in the morning as the monks file down the street collecting alms.)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb