Luang Prabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
May 26th 2011
Published: May 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Laos CatLaos CatLaos Cat

This picture captures the essence of Laos...sleepy....
Not really sure what happened to yesterday. We ventured out and ate sandwiches and fruit shakes on the street, came back to the hotel and had a couple of beers, then fell asleep around five o'clock and just woke up this morning. We are attributing the fatigue to travel-not old age! Had a simple breakfast of eggs and fresh baked baguettes (thank you France) and it is now raining. We are going to town to rent bikes, see some Wats, and book our adventures which I am just too excited about!

Some observations of Laos: the people are shy, and this country is very poor. The people are not quick to say hello or talk, but once a conversation is started they open right up. The countryside is beautiful with greenery and blooming flowers everywhere. The dogs are all them same-terrier mixes that are only interested if you have a bit of food. The traffic is tame and it is easy to cross the street. We will see how the bike riding goes.

We are staying at Sabaidee Guest House located off of the main streets. A young man was watching the NBA game and I was trying to
Our noodle shopOur noodle shopOur noodle shop

The name of this restaurant is "The Laos Chinese Vietnamese Restuarant across from the Dara Market". Guess where it is located? hahahaha.
get him to cheer for OKC but I think it was lost in translation.

Suzie






Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Our Guesthouse in Luang PrabangOur Guesthouse in Luang Prabang
Our Guesthouse in Luang Prabang

This was our home for a week-Sabaidee Guesthouse. There very few guests so we had the run of the place.
LandscapingLandscaping
Landscaping

Hey, some people use pink flamingos and others use old trucks. Part of our landscaping at the guesthouse.
Kids of LaosKids of Laos
Kids of Laos

We passed these little ones everyday on our walk to town.
Girls of LaosGirls of Laos
Girls of Laos

These girls were quite upset with me for not buying anything. The spider rings didn't help with these experienced salesgirls.
NagaNaga
Naga

Just one of the many Nagas we saw adorning the temples.
View from the restaurantView from the restaurant
View from the restaurant

We would sit here, well I would sit here while waiting for Steven to have his foot massage across the street.
Going from right to left...Going from right to left...
Going from right to left...

Beerlao, squid sauce, and sugar packets with a caterpillar.
Monks at workMonks at work
Monks at work

Morning chores at the wat.
Phu Si-at the topPhu Si-at the top
Phu Si-at the top

Lots of stairs later, the best view in Luang Prabang.
Buddhas of Phu Si...or Tarzan?Buddhas of Phu Si...or Tarzan?
Buddhas of Phu Si...or Tarzan?

This was the most unusual Buddha we had ever seen. Hard to see but there are two birds in his beard. And he has a tiger print sarong. Hmmm...
Phu Si Buddha with monksPhu Si Buddha with monks
Phu Si Buddha with monks

Steven is working on his side job.
The BEST fruit shakes Ever!The BEST fruit shakes Ever!
The BEST fruit shakes Ever!

Here is our guy-we bought fruit shakes a couple of times a day from him. He works two jobs to support his family. He also can greet customers in English, French, and Japanese.
Breakfast in LaosBreakfast in Laos
Breakfast in Laos

Typical breakfast-noodle soup.
Cutest Airport AwardCutest Airport Award
Cutest Airport Award

This is the whole airport in one shot. Only one airplane can land at a time-and the tarmac is one way!


Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0174s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb