Laos - Day 6


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
March 5th 2006
Published: April 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast at Yong Khone restaurant, not so good. Changed some traveler’s checks at a bad exchange rate. Did the major wats in Old City, Wat Pa Houak, Wat Pa Phai, Wat Saen, Wat Xiang Thong. Spent a while exploring Phou Si (“Sacred Hill”), the hill in the center of LP. Saw the wats around the hill and That Chomsi on top of Phou Si. We climbed over 200 stairs. Had Lao pate sandwiches for lunch. Took a boat across the Mekong to Ban Xiang Men, a small village. When we fist walked into the village we saw a wat and decided to take a look. As we were walking onto the grounds and old monk motioned us over and unlocked the the main temple, or sim. We went in, took a look around, and came back out. The monk was waiting for us and made picture taking motions for us and encouraged us to go back inside and take pictures. We left a small donation. He had specifically opened up the sim for us, so sweet. Walked to Wat Long Khoun. On the way, there was a very aggressive young girl peddling flowers and birds for us to bring to the temple. She didn’t give up easily and we only had to say no about 20 times. When we got to Wat Long Khoun we met a European woman, with a couple of monks. They offered to take us to the cave with them. The cave was pretty cool. Supposedly it was used to shelter monks during the War. Walked back to Wat Chom Phet, a disused monastery on the hillside. Great view of LP from across the river. Also had a nice view of Chang (Elephant) Mountain. Took a boat with the woman and monks back to LP. Quick showers at the guesthouse and then back out. Walked through one of the Hmong markets, which sets up every evening on Xiang Thong Road. Walked around Phou Si to the bookstore, L’Etranger, but it was closed. Had mojitos next door at Hive Bar. Very cool bar. Had a nice birthday (Felicia’s 30th) dinner at Les 3 Nagas Restaurant. We both got the set menu which was an obscene amount of food, good, but not great. Picked up a bottle of wine to drink on our balcony.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



25th April 2006

Fantastic Fotos
So happy your enjoying your trip, food sounds delicious, love the tuk-tuk, pics are beautiful

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb