Luang Prabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
February 11th 2010
Published: February 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sunday, 01/24/10

We got up fairly early (around 7:30 a.m.), showered, and had a leisurely breakfast at Lao Lao garden, a lovely outdoor restaurant surrounded by flowers and trees. A pregnant cat sat with us and gazed at us so sweetly we shared our bacon with her. For our first full day in Laos our plan was to stroll around and get a feel for the town. We knew we’d be pooped from traveling and didn’t want to plan any big activities. We toured a couple of small working temples. It was only two dollars for entry to each one. I like temples, but I’ve now seen so many in SE Asia that they’re all starting to look the same. But I still feel compelled to visit them. You never know when one will have something truly special. During our walk we crossed a rickety bridge to the other side of the Mekong River but turned immediately around when we realized we were almost to the airport. We found a new hostel closer to the center of town because we had mercifully only booked two nights at Spicylaos Backpackers. Then we found a tour guide and booked activities for the following two days.

We had fun chatting with other tourists we met at the temples and at our hostel. The locals were all cheerful and friendly. Everyone smiled and called out “Sabaidee!” everywhere we went. It was such a warm and welcoming environment. Such a nice change from the frosty leering or blatant ogling I so often receive in China. And the countryside was breathtaking! The mountains surrounding the area were pristine. The river wound its way through them bordered by patches of vegetable gardens and fishing piers. The air was clear, and even with the dust of the dry season it was refreshing. Another surprising and pleasant fact about Laos that Kim and I noticed right away is that they like their pets there. There were cats and dogs everywhere and they didn’t look like the scared half starved things that roam the streets of Shenzhen. They were healthy and friendly. Both cats and dogs readily approached us for a pat on the head (or a piece of bacon) and the people of Luang Prabang seemed to genuinely care about their four legged friends.

We returned to the night market that evening and I thoroughly enjoyed all the handmade stuff. I had a difficult time controlling myself. I could have easily walked off with one of everything.




Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

No ThouchNo Thouch
No Thouch

Does this mean I can't touch any thing or am I not allowed to have a thought?
[clearing throat][clearing throat]
[clearing throat]

This is the song that never ends! Yes, it goes on and on, my friends! Some people started singing it....


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb