Vientiane, Viang Vieng & Luang Prabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
May 28th 2007
Published: May 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Paradise !Paradise !Paradise !

when i was heading over to SE Asia this is what i wished it would be like. Larry took this of me at the top pool of the waterfall.

Waterfall
Well its been a while since i wrote a blog, and i thought i had better keep it up to date.

Well we left Vietnam to come to Laos, and i am afraid we were caught with Hanoi to Vientiane bus scam ! The scam goes as follows ..... your hotel or travel agent informs you of getting a private air/con minibus for the journey, which will only last 16 hours for the entire journey ..... what really happens is thet they stick you on a $hitty coach with lots of other people and it picks up mystery good along the way ! (mystery good will be explained later !!!) the journey doesnt take the 16 hours youve mentally prepared yourself for, instead it takes 22 to 24 hours and guess what the air con don't work ! anyway luckily enough i managed to sleep most of the way so it wasnt too big a deal .... either way i was happy to get to me hotel later that day !

anyway more about the mystery goods ! On our coach our luggage was all kept on the bus with us, stashed down the back. anyway the bastards
Bus from Hanoi to VientianeBus from Hanoi to VientianeBus from Hanoi to Vientiane

this was a pic on that bus i was talking about.
on the bus kept stopping during the night and picking up goods 'mystery goods' like 'powdered milk' etc. anyway the bus just kept stoppin and they kept loading up stuff, they even filled up the gangway about 2 boxes so you had to climb out of your seat to get out ! anyway it was dodgy as fcuk because every time we would stop for food at local eateries, a suitcase was produces by our driver, and big wads of cash were removed. anyway i dont know what was in the boxes and i dont wanna know.

anyway the border cross wasnt much, and was relativly hassle free. and we arrived in vientiane the next evening.

Vienatiane was pretty boring to be honest, we stayed a couple of days but we found there wasnt much to do and the nightlife was pretty $hit. We rented a couple of bicycles and cycled all around the town, looke at a big arch, saw a ferw wats and went to bed early.

We caught a bus to Viang Vieng which was great. There were alot of adventure tours and stuff to do which was good, and the town had a
WineWineWine

In a local restaurant, and in most place they have wine with various $hit inside it. In these jars we had, Snake, Bear and Monkey !
lot of life in it. One day there we went tubing thrugh a cave (which was kinda cool and only a bit daunting at first, cause the only light in it is from your $hitty headlamp. (tubing by the way is a Laos thing, basically they get the tube from a tractor tyre and you get in it and let the river take you where it wants!) So anyway after the cave we went kyaking down the river, which was pretty cool. They have makeshift bars set up all along where you can stop off for a few .... whelan you'd love it ! and at these bars, where the river is really deep, they set up these massive swings, so ya can swing out over the river and drop in. you can drop from about 10-12 meters if you let go from the first time it swings over .... unfortunatly for me i had me death grip on the swing and didnt let go till the 3rd swing about 6 meters over ! see picture. anyway that was cool, and after we just paddled down river to the town.

So after Viang Vieng we headed to Luang Prabang (where i am writing this from and where we met up again with the boys Joe and Robbie) the town itself is quiet enough, but there are lots of day trips etc. you can do. we headed up to the waterfalls, which are amazing. Its a tiered waterfall so the further up you treck, the more isolated and better it gets. I cant explain how amazing it was to swim there, I have never been anywhere like it before. I will let the picture tell the story, and the fact that we are heading back tomorrw with the boiys is enough to say it was great !

oh for anyone who want to know what Larry is getting up to, her travel blog address is www.travelblog.org/bloggers/larros check it out, if you want to listen to her giving me $hit and all !!!





Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Bad MonkeyBad Monkey
Bad Monkey

this little chap had to be tied up cause he kept stealing $hit !
Rollin down the RiverRollin down the River
Rollin down the River

Me and Larry in a Kyake
Swingin over the RiverSwingin over the River
Swingin over the River

This was both amazingly fun and Pants $hitting !
Peter Whelan Lookalike !Peter Whelan Lookalike !
Peter Whelan Lookalike !

we have seen so many lookalikes on our journey, thought this one was kinda uncanny. He is an american guy we keep bumping into on our travels. Keeps freakin me and Joe out how much he looks like you whelan ! There is a Monique lookalike we have run into ......


28th May 2007

Wish I Was There...
Maaaaaaaaaaaaan...look at them waterfalls. Damn!! All I can say is...you lucky f**k! :o) Hope alls going as good as your photos look! i know you cant really bring an SLR with you, obviously, but IF you had one! Keep it up, hope the two of ye are having a brillo time :o)
1st June 2007

Jaysus...
Whats the craic' Ruairi? Managed to find your blog on google so I thought I'd leave you a message. Having a good time? I like the look of that wine, nothing like good ol' animal cruelty.

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb