mr mo, hammocks and 3dogs


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Si Phan Don
July 12th 2007
Published: September 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Don dhet brings fond memories because i hardly had any sleep while i was there. i was mostly at my hammock with 3 straying dogs coming in and out of the room in the night. swaying to the music and giggles of 3 german girls, night was esp. quiet and long. the boys had no trouble sleeping. (2 japs n the bf because they were so intoxicated from beer lao and lao lao(local whiskey)) The boyfriend even acquainted a brother there! an old carpenter who kept forcing him to drink the disgusting local whiskey and even kissed him on the cheek and asked him to join him at building new houses.he said he will pay him 3USD a day. the boyfriend would have pick up another skill if we had more days.

Miss noy's guesthouse was probably the best place to get any breeze and good view of the sunset. so we sat there all afternoon, chatting with jon, rupert and the denmark girl, half the time the boyfriend was just nodding his head in agreement because he cant understand what rupert(british guy) was talking about. i was so afraid to use the public toilet for the first time and pleaded with the boyfriend to wait for me outside because of this super big spider i saw in the cubicle. electricity is only available from 6-11pm and lights are v.dim. so yea, it was practically kampong style(a room with a dented bed and a lightbulb) for me, living on stilt houses and stuff.

the next day we went with mr mo(a guesthouse owner) and the other two jap men to catch asia's biggest cascade and we each rode a bike around the small island to liphi waterfalls. the ride was bumpy and tricky but we pulled it off. but donkhon was really sweet, with children and kids saying "sabaidee" to you all the time in such a sweet and innocent manner and all the rural animals etc etc. we really like laos, among the other 2 countries because it was really simplicity to its barest - minus all the tourists. the room is so cheap -- like 2.25 sing dollar per night? One thing observed, mothers breastfeed their babies openly, even if some strangers are there..they dont even bother. The food at mr mo's was pretty good, like the bbq fish, which was damn fresh and garlic bread, noodle soup etc, miss them so much.

p.s: met this aussie guy who teaches in china and korea and guess what! He called himself huai luo tou in chinese. (bad camel, like wtf)

p.s.s: i still think there's sth about mr mo. hurhur .. like some triad boss. boo... border crossing to cambodia was "incredibly painful".




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb