Four Thousand Islands


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Si Phan Don
May 21st 2007
Published: May 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

On the boat to Don DetOn the boat to Don DetOn the boat to Don Det

After our marathon journey from Vientiane to Pakse and then Pakse down to Don Det we are still smiling!
Not really sure if there is precisely 4 thousand islands, but this place is right at the bottom of Laos where the Mekong River spilts breaks up the land and is one of the places you can see the rare Irrawady Dolphins.

After the bus journey from Vientiane we stopped in Pakse for some breakfast, seemed like an alright place but you wouldnt want to spend too long here, more of a base for day trips or a stop over if you have to.

From Pakse we negotiated our own minivan which was luxurious until we picked up 3 others near Champasak. There were so many touts selling bus tickets and tuktuk drivers trying to get your business that I was so glad im travelling with a largish group as this could have been scary, definately more power in numbers too! Much more likely to listen to you as dont want to lose your business.

We arrived on Don Det via boat from the mainland. So basic down here, no electric apart from a few hours in the evening. 2 internet cafes that charge 600kip a minute, compared to 100kip everywhere else in Laos. We stayed in
Me and My HammockMe and My HammockMe and My Hammock

...loved hanging out in my hammock!
the Mamas Guesthouse on the Sunrise side of the island 3$ per room, which seemed the most sociable as the rooms are all joined and you share the terrace which has hammocks. However if anyone goes to Don Det, my advice is to keep walking and you'll get your own Bungalow for a 1$ which is about 50p - if you share thats only 25p per night (unbelievable I know!!), just doesnt have a bathroom or any electric. So chilled out down here, and very quiet as its low season, but enough people to talk to. Reggae bar is the place where most peopl hang out and get happy!

We discovered this amazing bakery which is ran by and Ozzie guy who travelled there a couple of years ago and decided to stay and set up his own business. The bread and cakes were to die for, especially after not having any for so long. Its on the Sunrise side and is part of a restaurant, sorry cant remember name but just around.

We did a day trip to the large waterfall on the mainland and over to do some dolphin watching. Amazing day out only 8$! We
Where we stayedWhere we stayedWhere we stayed

..pretty basic, but a great way to relax and live the simple life!
also hired bikes to ride around Don Det and then over to Don Khong where there are waterfalls and beaches. We cycled through villages and farmland with some spectacular scenery.

Don Det is definately a place to escape civilisation and just chill while reading a book in your hammock.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Sunrise Strip!Sunrise Strip!
Sunrise Strip!

We stayed on Sunrise, much more accomodation this side of the Island and gets much cheaper the further you walk.
Me at the waterfallMe at the waterfall
Me at the waterfall

We went cycling around Don Det and Don Khong to a waterfall, not the type you can swim in unfortunately!
Temples everywhere!Temples everywhere!
Temples everywhere!

You're never far from a temple! This is one I spotted as we were cycling through the countryside...
Beautiful scenery!Beautiful scenery!
Beautiful scenery!

the picture says it all...
Cooling off...Cooling off...
Cooling off...

Lots of buffalo about, I was half tempted to cool off in the muddy water too - not!
On  the roadOn  the road
On the road

...this is one of the drier paths we had to cycling on, I couldnt picture the wetter ones as didnt want to damage camera, doah!
On our way to see dolphins...On our way to see dolphins...
On our way to see dolphins...

dont we look happy!
Team Dolphin WatchTeam Dolphin Watch
Team Dolphin Watch

Us on our rock watching the dolphins...
Amazing sunset Amazing sunset
Amazing sunset

I took this on the way back from our day trip to see the Dolphins and waterfall...(This is just 1 of many I took!!)
Bungalows on Don DetBungalows on Don Det
Bungalows on Don Det

...some of these cost as little as 1$ a night - so about 50p!!!
Great Bakery!Great Bakery!
Great Bakery!

This was a great find, lucky we didnt stay there too long as I would have been a regular visitor and definately added a few pounds!!


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb