Border Crossing


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
May 22nd 2007
Published: May 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

This was a journey and a half. We left Don Det (all 30 of us) at 8am, eventually getting on a bus to take us to the Laos-Camodia Border. We were able to get our visa at the border, however instead of paying the 20$, we payed 2$ to leave Laos, then another 4$ for other random reasons, most definately going into their pockets, ah well we half expected it!

From there we got on another bus to Phnom Penh which was suppose to get us there for 6pm, but no, we arrived at 11pm!! This journey was "interesting", theyd oversold the seats so three people had to sit on two seats, the driver refused to stop for toilet breaks or to buy water - there was nearly a riot on the bus, we even had a couple of locals sitting on the floor! Quite amusing looking back and not that bad really - save lots of money by not flying so cant complain too much!

The second part of the saga was arriving in Phnom Penh so late. We were taken and nearly fed to the wolves (I mean the tuktuk drivers and accomodation touts) until we
Check out the "road"Check out the "road"Check out the "road"

...we had to drive along this to get on the boat to cross the Mekong to Stung Treng!!
all refused point blankely to get off the bus, and demanded to de dropped of by the lakeside where theres budget accomodation. So we're taken to the Lakeside down a very narrow alley and the bus drives into a sign, so we get out and say we'll walk the rest, but no the tout is addimant we get dropped off at his guesthouse so we all stay there. In the end we did but got out quickly in the morning and went to No problem guesthouse.

We did the sights by tuktuk which was great as we got to see the city loads. We started at the Shooting Range which is pretty sick thing to have right next to the Killing Fields, but the boys wanted a go. So pricey, wasnt able to take a picture of the 'menu' but it starts at about 30$ up to 200$ to fire a rocket launcher. Have heard rumours that you can fire at live animals which is just WRONG! However as you can see me and Lisa got into the spirit of things and posed for a couple of photos but did not shoot anything!
After that we went to the
The transport in Cambodia...The transport in Cambodia...The transport in Cambodia...

thankfully we didnt have to travel by Cow-Cart!! And the roads were pretty impressive too!
Killing Fields which was one of the hardest things Iv had to do, so horrible to listen to the stories of what happened and see where it happened and who it happened to! Later on we went to the S21 Museum which used to be a school then was turned into a Prison by the Polpot (the person responsible for all the killings). We watched the movie at 3pm which was again an awful thing to watch. We looked round the prison and the cells and looked at the photos. So gruesome, pretty upsetting just to write about it now!

We also visited an Orphanage in Phnom Penh. We bought a sack of rice which is the standard thing to do. We spent a couple of hours talking to the teachers and having chats with the kids. They all seemed so happy! Really pleased we did this.

We also went for lunch at 'Friends' which is a project for homeless kids - similar to what Jamie Oliver is up to England. Food was great, even though a little pricey which we didnt mind as hopefully it was going to a good cause!

No rest for the wicked,
Best sunrise so far!Best sunrise so far!Best sunrise so far!

This was taken on the Cambodian side of the border on our way to Phnom Penh, soooo nice!
on another bus to Siem Reap next!




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Phnom Penh Tuk TukPhnom Penh Tuk Tuk
Phnom Penh Tuk Tuk

James, Lisa & I (Joe taking photo) spent the day checking out all the sights in Phnom Penh!
Mad DriversMad Drivers
Mad Drivers

All round the city we saw motor bikes carrying obscene quantities of cargo! Most I just couldnt get my camera out quick enough to photograph, but there was amazing sights!
Busy StreetsBusy Streets
Busy Streets

Phnom Penh is great for people watching!
At the shooting range...At the shooting range...
At the shooting range...

I feel a bit ashamed that we even went there. It was before we visited the killing fields and the prison.
Rambo JamesRambo James
Rambo James

This one of the boys having a go, we went in to take photos for them. I was really scared by the noise these things make!!
Memorial for the DeadMemorial for the Dead
Memorial for the Dead

This is the memorial for all the dead at the Killing Fields. We had a guided tour, a very upsetting experience listening to what the guide told us!
Sights from the TukTukSights from the TukTuk
Sights from the TukTuk

Not the best picture ever, but driving round Phnom Penh we saw so many beautiful buildings, just werent able to photograph them that well!!
Street LifeStreet Life
Street Life

This was the sort of colourful scenes around the city, loved all the hustle and bustle of the market areas...
View from AccomodationView from Accomodation
View from Accomodation

We stayed on the Lake at No Problem guesthouse. All the places at balconys looking out onto the Lake.
More great ArchitectureMore great Architecture
More great Architecture

Think was the Buddhism Centre or University, we didnt stop just drove past it...
Kids in the OrphanageKids in the Orphanage
Kids in the Orphanage

This was one of the classrooms we went into. The kids were so enthusiastic! They were happy to see us and practiced their English on us.
Back to School for meBack to School for me
Back to School for me

I chatted with some of the girls about their work. Not that easy when their English was pretty litmited and my Cambodian was none existent!
At the Orphanage...At the Orphanage...
At the Orphanage...

The kids were adorable and really welcomed us.
Lunch at Friends CafeLunch at Friends Cafe
Lunch at Friends Cafe

This is a restaurant/street kid project. Kids from the street are trained to cook and serve 5* Food. Probably the most expensive place we stae but the money went to a good cause and the food was fab!!


Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1897s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb