Luang Prabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » North
March 26th 2012
Published: April 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

26.3.2012

Baby Erin Grace McAlister was born at 02:30 weighing 7lb 6oz. She is just perfect, we are so proud of Laura and Pete. All our prayers and wishes finally came true xx

We went for a morning walk along the Mekong river which borders the town. We saw some monks sieving through stones on the river banks, maybe they were looking for jewels? We visited some temples on the way around, climbing loads of steps to get to one that was carved in the stone. There was also an imprint of Buddha's foot up there, he shore did get around. It was a great view up there looking over the town and the river. There was a young monk up there that we had a chat with and a photo of. He said he was at monk school for 7 years.

We then met the girls for lunch and decided to go to a traditional Laos restaurant over the river. This meant crossing one of the bamboo bridges, it looked like it was going to colapse! It gets built every year as it gets washed away in the wet season when the river rises. I ordered a 'Laap' which is minced beef, mint and herbs which was nice. We also had some sticky rice - you roll it into a ball and dip it into a sauce. We then went to a bar that overlooked the river. We chilled out on low comfy seats on a bamboo balcony having a few beerlao. We said goodbye to the girls and we went for a Sindad (another local dish). It was amazing, we sat at a table that the middle lifted out of. They replaced it with a ceramic bucket filled with hot ashes. He then put a dish/bowl on the top. He brought over a bucket of broth, bascket of veg, 2 eggs and some chicken, pork, water buffalo, garlic and chillies. Basicaly we cooked it our selves. The broth went round the outside, with the veg and scrmbled eggs. The meat then got cooked in the middle and when done mixed in with the rest of the ingredients. You scooped up a bit of everything from round the outside into youur little bowl. It was lovely!!



27.3.2012

Met the girls after breakfast and went to visit one of the villages where they handmake textiles. Crossing another bamboo bridge to get there. This one was even worse! We hurried across it and made our way to the village. We saw people making their own paper - I think out of dried banana leaves mushed up with water into a pulp then laid out flat in a frame and left to dry. They put flowers in and different dyes aswell. We also how they collect silk from silk worms - then how they weave it into scalves, table runners and clothing. We all bought a few bits and bobs. We bought 2 paintings as well.

We then said goodbye to the girls for the last time, as we definately wont cross paths again. Enjoyed bumping into them all the time, makes you feel less homesick meeting up with friends. We made ouur way to the bus station on a tuk tuk. Then boarded a 7 hour bus journey to Vang Vieng on some of the bumpiest and scariest roads we've been on! M x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0749s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb