Day 10 Pamir Highway – the last stage: Sary Tash to Osh


Advertisement
Kyrgyzstan's flag
Asia » Kyrgyzstan » Osh
August 17th 2017
Published: April 30th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Day 10, our last day on the Pamir Highway.

It took us 3 hours to get from Sary Tash to Osh. The road was properly sealed, kinda like you'd expect for a highway! We gave a lift to a Korean guy Soo who had stay in the room next to us in Sary Tash, we'd had to walk through his room to get to ours, so we figured he was basically family.

It's quite hard to describe the scenery on the way to Osh, in parts the earth was an amazing red, but as we neared Osh it turned into rolling hills and there were lots of people making hay, ready for winter. There were also lots of similarities with Mongolia; we could see that they sun dry cheese, there was the yurts, the types of toilets. We were looking forward to getting out into it the country.

So we survived the Pamir Highway. Highlights for us were day 1 and the Wakhan Valley - we could happily sit and look at the Hindu Kush mountains forever. We'd definitely recommend travelling the Highway, even though it's not the easiest trip and just the thought of another fried egg is enough to make us feel queasy. Tajikistan is also very conservative, so we've worn trousers the whole time meaning that we have tanned arms and white legs, and it is probably going to take an entire series of microdermabrasions to get the dust off our faces, which definitely wasn't in our holiday budget. We've also each managed to lose something that we have had for many trips, Emma left her travel towel on a washing line in Khorog, and I've lost my neck scarf somewhere along the way.

Would we recommend it? Absolutely!

The people, the scenery, the journey has all been amazing.

We came to find an adventure, and found it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



3rd May 2018
IMG_5327

Rush hour
Love those traffic jams.

Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 29; qc: 156; dbt: 0.1436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb