Plastic Bags + Sandals = Alpine Hiking Boots


Advertisement
Asia » Kyrgyzstan » Karakol
July 15th 2008
Published: July 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

The previous night's queasy cocktail of menace & vodka turned uneasily in my stomach when I woke, but I felt myself very quickly invigorated by the thought of what lay ahead... Three days up in the Tian Shan, (Mandarin for 'Celestial Mountains'), a mountain range which LP claims "comprises perhaps the finest trekking territory in Central Asia". I'd decided to explore it for myself rather than hiri... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

And here's your snowman, Aning, as promised! =)And here's your snowman, Aning, as promised! =)
And here's your snowman, Aning, as promised! =)

Sorry about the kind of creepy yellow-flower eyes, they were all I could find. =P
On the passOn the pass
On the pass

Looking back the way I'd come from.



21st July 2008

Loved the video show!
Hi Michael and thanks for the great description of your amazing hike! Loved the video clip, and the photos of the mountains. It must have been so special to be there alone in such a beautiful place. Nice snowman!
21st July 2008

Sooo Beautiful!!!
That sounds like one cool hike, I'm pretty amazed you didn't loose a couple of toes to frostbite judging by the description of your "hiking boots"!!! Keep having a blast :)
21st July 2008

WOW
What a great adventure Michael! Loved the photos and your descriptions of being inadequately prepared reminded me of the time we climbed in the Chimanimani Mts in Zimbabwe with the Longs! I see our prayers are much needed! Do take care!
22nd July 2008

Top story Michael
"Sole lord and master"? You've gone mad with power!
25th July 2008

Marvellous!!
A marvellous entry! Love the majestic view of the mountains on the clip and pictures. The avid description of your hike make it all the more realistic. And what a good idea with the plastic bags.. :)
25th July 2008

snow-capped mountains,wild horses...they r even more beautiful than i imagined, revising the plan from A to plan XY369 was worth it!! absolutely !! and michael, the snow man,...thats really artistic...i like it ;)
26th July 2008

count me in for any hikes you organise!!! :P
sup bro! loved this detailed blog on your latest search for adventure. looking forward to catching up in a few days in singas and hearing about it in even more detail. am reading an unexpected light at the moment and your writing style really reminds me of jason elliot! :)
11th November 2008

That seems like a tough hike you did. Glad you survived. :)
9th April 2010

wow.. its so awesome
Hey Michael, this is so amazing and to do it all alone, You got power, just loved the snowman so cute eyes and the flowers are so awesome.. such a beautiful place and you are the chosen one to have been there. Liked your idea of the good use you made of plastic.. sounds crazy to have plastic boots .. whewww.. Take care, and good luck to you, hope to see more of this ahead... ;-)
19th July 2010
And here's your snowman, Aning, as promised! =)

MARVELLOUS
i feel jealous on u because your pictures are stunning spectaculous, u are amazing man. i am happy and lucky to your friend. thank you.please mail me.
6th July 2011

My favorite post of all time!
I am motivated every time I read this post!!

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 14; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb