Castles or Temples in Nagoya?


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan
March 17th 2009
Saved: May 29th 2016
Edit Blog Post

A Nagoya Coffee ShopA Nagoya Coffee ShopA Nagoya Coffee Shop

We had to buy some French Roast coffee, but it was not up to the standard of our Peet's Coffee.
This morning, we are headed to Nagoya-Jo, the Nagoya Castle that Tokugawa ordered to be built for his ninth son on the site of an older castle. It was destroyed in WW2, and replaced in 1959 with a replica . It has a fine museum inside featuring armor, treasures, and histories of the three families.

We also will visit the arts and crafts area, since Nagoya is well known for shibori, an elegant form of tie dying, as well as cloisonné, ceramics, and Seki blades (swords, knives, and scissors).

We really have not purchased much so far. Since food is relatively our biggest budget item, we are going through yen like water. But we have enjoyed some wonderful, and interesting meals.

BTW, the Germans here are by far, more obnoxious than Americans. They are loud, use their cell phone at the dinner tables, and act like they own the place. Give me an obnoxious American from Iowa or New York anytime.

We hit the Osu Kannon Temple, home of their version of a flea market or junk sale. But its continuation, called Bansho-ji-dori, with youthful stores, electronics, vintage duds, and toy stores. We spent several hours there,
Nagoya Flea MarketNagoya Flea MarketNagoya Flea Market

They sell fleas in Japan as well.
and even found a great Brazilian French Roast coffee at a local coffee house. They serve free toast with the coffee or tea in the morning. Our little waitress told us she grew up in Ontario, Canada.

Sheri went a little crazy with the gift buying. Then she started a buying frenzy at this store owned by a little lady. The other customers tried to take the things she picked out, by mistake I assume. But the lucky store owner started making many sales.

Nagoya is a much more manageable city, much smaller and saner than Tokyo. But the ubiquitous Louis, Prada, Lanvin, Coach stores are across the street. The depato carry very upscale items. But hundreds wait outside the door for them to open at 10am.

Tomorrow, we head out to Kyoto, about a half hour away by Shinkansen. We did not have the time or resources to find my Grandfather's family legacy, either the church or the grave sites. It is probably just as well, since I cannot read Japanese anyway.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom

Crazy Shopping MallCrazy Shopping Mall
Crazy Shopping Mall

A Nagoya version of Harajuku or is it Haight Ashbury?


Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0196s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb