Budokan's Picks: His Best Japan Experience


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan
January 1st 2009
Published: February 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Not sure about the rest, but here are my personal picks



Best Hotelier Experience: Toyoko Inn Hakodate Daimon.

"Plush, clean, comfortable, super single beds with fully equipped fresheners. Room rates came with complimentary breakfast, dinner, free internet access and free flow of coffee at the reception. For SGD55 per person a night, the price and location is hard to beat in expensive Japan."


Best Railway Experience: Tokyo to Hachinohe (en-route to Hokkaido).

"The reliable Shinkansen whisked through the painless 631km journey in a matter of 3 hours. The same distance between Singapore and Penang would otherwise take a whopping 18 hours by the "Express Trains" of the notorious Keretapi Tanah Melayu Behad (KTMB) aka the state Railway of Malaysia."




Best City Experience: Wide boulevards and plenty of open spaces, Sapporo is everybody's favourite city!

"This self-sufficient city has something to satisfy every travellers' needs. Great food, great shopping and a great zoo. Oh yes, it's certainly less crowded than Tokyo and Osaka. With a simple and efficient subway system, Sapporo is never a commuter's nightmare."




Best Foodie Experience: Sapporo Curry Chicken Leg.

"I like the spices that went into my curry. There was no MSG after taste. I heard from J that Ajisen had recently introduced the dish into their menu."




Best Splurging Experience: Hakodate seafood bowl @ SGD28.

"The scallops tasted straight from the sea and certainly better than the ones we bought from Fairprice over the Chinese New Year. Both from Hokkaido, but somewhat different tastes. "




Best Value Experience: Many.

"The ever reliable UNIQLO chain of affordable clothing (finally coming to Singapore in April 2009) and the dried monster scallops that cost half the price in Hakodate. @ 500 yen, the Sapporo subway one day weekend ticket makes travelling affordable and not to mention my SGD1.65 tie from the 100 yen shop in Hakodate."




Best Souvenir to bring Home: Marusei Butter Cookies.

"Available only in Hokkaido, the Marusei Butter Cookies (六花亭) is something to crave for with its rich creamy ingredients and raisins. Unlike Danish cookies, they do not leave behind a strong buttery taste. Oh yes, do consume soon after buying as shelf life is normally less than one week.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb