Transportation


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
March 14th 2006
Published: July 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The subway/train system here is one of the largest in the world. Rush hour is horrendous in Tokyo. The trains are packed to the brim where you literally cannot move a muscle, cause you are squished amongst other commuters. Also there are staff that are on the platform making sure everyone is pushed onto the trains and no one is half in and half out (if that makes sense). When you are on the train 75% of the commuters are either sleeping (even standing up) or texting on their cells. Your cell has to be turned off when on the train and you cannot talk on it. If you do, be prepared to get some dirty looks. Most people take their train rides seriously, as believe it or not that is their only down and/or quiet time. For some reason it's also not uncommon to see men pick their nose on the train. The first time I saw a man do it, he was picking away like no tomorrow, but then I kept seeing men digging for gold all the time. It's just ridiculous. Also, it's very common to see women apply their makeup on the train and I don't mean just a touch up, but from applying the fake lashes, to doing their entire face. I've turned somewhat Japanese, cause if I am not sleeping on the train, then I'm texting friends on my cell. It's a good way to kill time. Also the buses here are the total opposite of the ones in Toronto. You pay when you get off, cause your fare depends on the distance. Public transportation here is extremely expensive. The further you travel the more you pay regardless if it's all within the same city. It's costly, but the system runs very well. The trains are usually on time and when they are late it's usually do to a suicide (the suicide rate in Japan is quite high), but they are usually up and running again within minutes. It's all about punctuality in this country, which is great.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1124s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb