Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo Fish Market


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
November 29th 2006
Published: November 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Entrance GateEntrance GateEntrance Gate

This was the entrance gate into Tokyo Disneyland.
November 28 - 29

My last two days in Japan were spent mostly in meetings. Needing to wrap up our experiences in each of our host cities, we put the finishing touches on an incredible learning adventure that brought together two different cultures. I’ll reflect more on that in the next blog, but now I want to go back to being the traveling tourist.

Since our meetings ended so early on Tuesday, a few of us made our way to Tokyo Disneyland. With just a few hours that came with the evening pass, we tried to see it all. But even before we got inside, we noticed a note telling us Space Mountain was closed. Although disappointed, we made the best of everything else Tokyo Disneyland had to offer. Having to listen to most rides in Japanese was a constant reminder that I was not in Florida. Having my coat on was another reminder. The crowd was small, so we were able to ride each ride quickly, and that helped us to see everything. The one conclusion I came to almost immediately, regardless of language, is that Disneyland is truly a magical place for everyone.

Cinderella's CastleCinderella's CastleCinderella's Castle

It is hard to stop taking pictures of Cinderella's castle, but I had no choice. I started to take video instead.
Early Wednesday morning, a few of us went to the Tokyo fish market. We had heard how incredible this market is to see each morning as they auction off fresh tuna that has been caught from all over the entire world. Watching every step we took, so as to not get hit by the flying forklifts, we watched in awe as men checked out the merchandise and made their bids. Afterwards, we walked around the many stands selling all kinds of seafood. We saw things that looked like normal seafood, and then we saw things that we were almost afraid to ask. All in all, the Tokyo fish market was unique, and I’m glad I got up extra early to see it.

Later that morning, each host city group gave their final presentation. When you put together 200 educators, you are going to see creativity. The presentations were awesome, and hearing about the highlights made me realize just how meaningful and life-changing this experience has been for so many.

That afternoon, we had a couple hours before our final buffet dinner. A few of us made our way to the Tokyo Dome, home of the Yomiuri Giants.
Big Thunder MountainBig Thunder MountainBig Thunder Mountain

One of the first rides we went on, and doesn't this picture say it all.
Outside of the stadium, there was a gigantic roller coaster--Thunder Dolphin. We immediately checked it out, and for about $10.00, we were on it and ready to go. It was an intense ride that only lasted about 90 seconds, but in a way, it was the perfect ending to my stay in Japan. My one last hurrah in Japan.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Winnie-the-Pooh and FriendsWinnie-the-Pooh and Friends
Winnie-the-Pooh and Friends

You'll have to also watch the video I took of some of the other floats going by.
Mickey, Minnie, and PlutoMickey, Minnie, and Pluto
Mickey, Minnie, and Pluto

Here is Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, and Pluto getting ready for Christmas.
Fish MarketFish Market
Fish Market

Notice how they cut the tail off of the tuna, and also notice the flap of meat and skin hanging off near the back of the tuna. I believe they do this to see, and maybe smell, just how good the meat is.
A Type of Fork Lift??A Type of Fork Lift??
A Type of Fork Lift??

This is just one of the many, many fork lift type machines that were buzzing around.
SeafoodSeafood
Seafood

Take your pick at whatever you want.
Thunder DolphinThunder Dolphin
Thunder Dolphin

As soon as I saw it, I knew I would have to ride it.


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0645s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb