Tokyo Drifting


Advertisement
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Yanaka
June 20th 2009
Published: July 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tokyo I was excited about heading off to Tokyo, to see a futuristic metropolis, possibly a glimpse of what's to come. However, it also gave me the opportunity to ride the legendary Shinkansen bullet train for the first time. As expected it was comfortable, clean, on time and reasonably fast. There's so little noise and the fact its very smooth makes it hard to get a sense of how fast you're actua... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 89, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Tsukiji Fish MarketTsukiji Fish Market
Tsukiji Fish Market

Because of an increase in sightseers and the associated problems they cause, the market banned all tourists from the tuna auctions between 15 December 2008 and 17 January 2009.
Tsukijigawa RiverTsukijigawa River
Tsukijigawa River

Just by the market.
Nijubashi, the Double Bridge, in the Kokyo (Imperial Palace)Nijubashi, the Double Bridge, in the Kokyo (Imperial Palace)
Nijubashi, the Double Bridge, in the Kokyo (Imperial Palace)

Tokyo Imperial Palace is the imperial main residence of the Emperor of Japan. It is a large park-like area located in Chiyoda and contains various buildings such as the main palace and the private residences of the imperial family.
Imperial PalaceImperial Palace
Imperial Palace

On the night of 25th May 1945 most of the structures of the Imperial Palace were destroyed in the Allied fire-bombing raid. It was from the basement of the concrete library that Emperor Showa declared the capitulation of Japan in August 1945.
Kusunoki Masashige Statue in Imperial Palace ParkKusunoki Masashige Statue in Imperial Palace Park
Kusunoki Masashige Statue in Imperial Palace Park

Kusunoki Masashige was a 14th century samurai who fought for Emperor Go-Daigo in his attempt to wrest rulership of Japan away from the Kamakura shogunate and is remembered as the ideal of samurai loyalty.
Shibuya CrossingShibuya Crossing
Shibuya Crossing

This famous crossing has been seen in a few films one of them being Lost In Translation.
Shibuya CrossingShibuya Crossing
Shibuya Crossing

The name "Shibuya" is also used to refer to the central business district of Shibuya Ward, which surrounds Shibuya Station, one of Tokyo's busiest railway stations.
Shibuya CrossingShibuya Crossing
Shibuya Crossing

This Starbucks store overlooking the crossing is also one of the busiest in the world.
Shibuya CrossingShibuya Crossing
Shibuya Crossing

Shibuya is known as one of the fashion centers of Japan, particularly for young people, and as a major nightlife area.
Shibuya CrossingShibuya Crossing
Shibuya Crossing

Also seen in the Fast and the Furiosu: Tokyo Drift.
Shibuya CrossingShibuya Crossing
Shibuya Crossing

With 2.4 million passengers on an average weekday in 2004, Shibuya Station is the fourth-busiest commuter rail station in Japan handling a large amount of commuter traffic between the center city and suburbs.
Shibuya CrossingShibuya Crossing
Shibuya Crossing

One of the most well-known stories concerning Shibuya is the story of Hachikō, a dog who waited on his late master at Shibuya Station every day from 1923 to 1935, eventually becoming a national celebrity for his loyalty. A statue of Hachikō was built adjacent to the station, and the surrounding Hachikō Square is now the most popular meeting point in the area.
Shibuya CrossingShibuya Crossing
Shibuya Crossing

Three large TV screens mounted on nearby buildings overlook the crossing.
New York Bar (Park Hyatt Tokyo)New York Bar (Park Hyatt Tokyo)
New York Bar (Park Hyatt Tokyo)

On the 52nd floor of the Park Hyatt Tokyo, 235m up in the air.
New York Bar (Park Hyatt Tokyo)New York Bar (Park Hyatt Tokyo)
New York Bar (Park Hyatt Tokyo)

The stunning New York Bar, a great venue for live music, which features live jazz by international artists nightly.
New York Bar (Park Hyatt Tokyo)New York Bar (Park Hyatt Tokyo)
New York Bar (Park Hyatt Tokyo)

The cover charge is 2000 yen per person and cocktails start at around 1500 yen upwards.
New York Bar (Park Hyatt Tokyo)New York Bar (Park Hyatt Tokyo)
New York Bar (Park Hyatt Tokyo)

This bar was made famous as being the set of a lot of Lost in Translation and is well worth a look for the views alone.



19th April 2010

tokyo drifting
came across your very informative documention and picturesque presentation of this trip, what an interesting report. We are planning on trip soon but after visualizing thru your presentation, almost feel like I have been there. I gather you were mostly in the city and not in the countryside. We are interested in travelling on the bullet train and seeing the countryside also. So, would you say that it was an expensive trip, moderately expensive or one could get by on a decent budget. I guess you were not into shopping either. I was interested in the Electric Town but acording to your report, stuff that you can get anywhere else but the price was my interest compared to the US price. Good job! enjoyable. Thanks a lot!

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb