Shinjuku Food


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Shinjuku
April 7th 2024
Published: April 19th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Omakase sushi doesn’t need to be reserved for special occasions planned weeks ahead. This casual open kitchen at the new Shinjuku Yokochofood hall allows for casual spontaneity while serving up first-rate sushi. The restaurant playfully likens itself to a petrol station because of the way its course selection is formatted, but instead of diesel, you’re getting fueled on sushi.



A ‘regular’ omakase set is priced at ¥4,000 during lunch while the more voluminous ‘full tank’ set is available for ¥6,000. The former includes roughly eight pieces of Edomae-style sushi, where the rice has been lightly seasoned with red vinegar. Varieties of fish vary depending on the season, but even the standard course often includes favourites like chutoro (fatty tuna) and anago (saltwater eel).
Within the flashing neon lights and clutter of Shinjuku, you can take refuge in the calm, old-worldly charm of Hayashiya, tucked into the 5th floor of a high-rise building. It serves yoshoku – Japanese-style Western food – and the menu has barely changed since it opened in 1949. Signature dishes include the omurice (¥780), a paper-thin omelette cocooned around chicken fried rice and drizzled with ketchup, and the cheese hamburg (hamburger patty; ¥980). An extensive drinks list features wine from all over the world as well as Japanese craft sake.



Located just outside Shinjuku Station, Omoide Yokocho is a network of narrow alleys lined with tiny restaurants which all open up to the street. These hole-in-the-wall restaurants can only seat a handful of customers at a time which, some would say, is the best way to enjoy a glass of Japanese beer or some icy sake in Tokyo. Drinks flow in rivers here and locals are all too happy to mingle with tourists over yakitori and open-air barbeques.


Best restaurants in Omoide Yokocho: Gyukatsu Motomura Nishi-Shinjuku, Rokkasen,Gyukatsu Motomura, etc.



If travelers have limited time in Japan and need to sneak in a quick meal, the most crucial bit of advice is to eat true Japanese ramen. There's nothing more satisfying than a bowl of salty, spicy, umami-packed noodles swimming in a rich broth, especially after a long flight. They can try tan-tan for a nutty style, or keep it traditional with tonkatsu, shoyu, or miso-based ramen.
Best ramen restaurants in Tokyo: Ramen Nagi - Shinjuku Golden-gai Honkan, Tsuta, Fuunji, etc.


Never have I seen so many people, in a busy area, with so many bars and restaurants.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 14; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb