Samurai & Geisha for a Day


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Harajuku
September 16th 2006
Published: September 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Can't believe that we only have 19 more days here in Japan (and only 12 more NOVA working days - YAY!!)


We've been pretty busy over the past few weeks doing last minute Japanese touristy things, as well as taking every opportunity to hang out with our friends here (all the going out drinking and socialising is starting to take it's toll - we're sooooooo happy to have a quiet night at home this evening.)



Amidst all of this....... last Wednesday we had a truly Japanese experience and we were transformed into a Samurai and Geisha for a day (well for a couple of hours at least!)



It was an awesome experience. We went to this studio in Omotesando (in Tokyo) called KATSURA PHOTO STUDIO. It was actually a wet and cold day outside, so it was nice to be indoors and relax for a few hours.



First we sat down with a girl and chose which outfits we wanted. Then we chose the 6 set photo poses we wished to have - going with 1 individual one each and 4 couple shots. Then the transformation began........



We were taken upstairs and both had to change into traditional Japanese underwear - which was basically our normal underwear covered up with a hospital-type white gown and very cool Japanese socks.



After that I had my make-up put on (while Cam waited patiently). The make-up artist was fantastic - so gentle and creative. It took about 45 minutes to be finished and what an amazing job she had done when I finally got to see it.



Whilst I was getting made up, 2 other girls helped Cam get dressed in his Samurai outfit - he looked quite spiffy, if you ask me. After my make-up was done, 2 girls then dressed me in my kimono. What hard work that was!! I was wrapped up in the thing soooooo tight - can't believe most Geisha go through that every day.



Then came the photo shoot. It was so much fun. The staff also took heaps of photos on our own camera and we were allowed the take our own shot using some props after the official photo shoot was over.



We had an awesome time. The three Japanese girls on staff were just so friendly and lots of fun. If you ever, EVER get the chance to be a Geisha or Samurai for a day whilst in Tokyo, then we STRONGLY recommend going to Katsura Photo Studio. They are fantastic.



Hope you enjoy these photos........



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Take that Samurai!!Take that Samurai!!
Take that Samurai!!

I'll teach you to try and cut my head off!!
Strike a pose!!Strike a pose!!
Strike a pose!!

(Great photo Cam!)


19th September 2006

Photos
Hey! Those photos are great! What an amazing experience!! It sounds like your time in Japan was great and you have tons of memories to look back on. I wish I could have come out to visit you!! Take care and I'll email soon!
25th September 2006

This is my comment!
Thos pictures are amazing, guys!! I really wanted to do that when I was still over there! It's cool to see all the stuff you're doing to wind up your Japanese life. Love, Jenny

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb