Mt Fuji


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Shizuoka » Mt Fuji
January 1st 2014
Published: January 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Golden templeGolden templeGolden temple

The gold shimmers in the sunlight
Happy new year everyone. Hope you had a splendid time and have a wonderful 2014.

We had sake this morning as we were leaving the hotel. Very civilised, albeit at 7.20am!

We had a wonderful New Year's Eve walking around Kyoto. new year is a big deal for the Japanese and they go wild buying very special and expensive food for sharing on New Year's Day. So we joined in the general melee in a department store food centre. I now understand what the term food porn means. There were so many dazzling and unusual things to buy. Cost an arm and a leg mind you. I put up a few photos. Peter, on the other hand sat in the foyer with the other old people.

On New Year's Eve Japanese politeness is abandoned in their eagerness to buy goodies. We got pushed, shoved, elbowed and trodden on in the food centre. The wallabies would be proud to have these people in their scrum. Interestingly there was no aggro or conflict. We were almost shoved into a stall full of china at one stage but made a quick exit.

The big highlight for me was to go to the Cat Cafe...real live cats! For $10
Outside a CasinoOutside a CasinoOutside a Casino

Very tasteful
you get to play with about a dozen cats for half an hour and coffee comes with it. It was amazing seeing all those and cats and lots of people playing in a small very warm room. It was so cute!

Peter and Maureen went to see the zen gardens at the silver pavilion. Apparently they were magic. peter and mastrolled along the Philosopher's Path and discussed matters esoteric. I decamped to a shopping centre and found wine and free wifi. Very nice!

Over in japan, new year is a spiritual event rather than a big party. The temples are jam packed with worshippers praying and making offering to their various gods. This goes on for several days and families were out until 2:00 am paying their respects. No one drinks So it's very safe.

This morning we caught the Shinkansen train from Kyoto to Gotemba in the foothills of mt Fuji. we have a view of the mountain from our room. I can see it lying on my side of the bed..amazing!

Once again happy 2014. It's going to be a good one

Love sandra and pj. Xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

New year bento boxesNew year bento boxes
New year bento boxes

Each of the cost $38. There were some costing $400!
Beautifully presented fruitBeautifully presented fruit
Beautifully presented fruit

Incredibly expensive
Shinkansen bullet trainShinkansen bullet train
Shinkansen bullet train

Took us under two hours to Tavel 400 km.


Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0744s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb