Okinawa Islands


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Okinawa
June 12th 2010
Published: June 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After Amami, we were headed to Naha,Okinawa. We arrived in the pouring rain with no place to stay. Foutunately enough for us, someone was at the ferry exit to reccomend their guest house with a free ride. The next morning we were lucky enough to have a bright and sunny day to wallk around. Okinawa reminded me a bit of Thailand with many islandy shops and little trinkets. We were sort of over the walking and shopping after the 1st day and decided to hop a ferry to a near by island as a day trip. The island was called Takashiki. 1 hour Ferry ride and a short bus ride and we were transported to a beach. Before enjoying the sun we grabbed a bite to eat at the first place that looked like a resturant and just went with the reccomendation unsure what we were going to get. What came out was what we were told is Okinawa food. It was basically Ground meat with cheese and salsa over Japanese rice, kinda like Japan's version of mexican and it was delicious!

After our great meal we went exploding around the rocky beach where no one else dared to go and found...MUD SKIPPERS! They were awesome, we didn't know what they were and when we approached them they threw themselves off the rocks they were on, hopped across the water with a cute little water plop sound and landed on further rocks, very still, we were able to get a few shots. We also saw some sea cucumbers, star fish, crabs and some things we didn't know the name of.

After our day in the sun was over we headed back to our awesome hostel Kashiwaya, the guy who owns this place was very very helpful with reccomendations on food, day trips and even called to our next destination to book us a room 😊

Next, we are heading back to Kagoshima with a stop off at Okinoerabu with no plan.

Okinawa Hostel Info:

Kasiwaya Guesthouse

*Very helpful staff
*Cool common area with free internet, shamisen and guitars
*Restaurant in the hostel
*Bunk bed style
*Shared bath and shower
*Laundry
*AC must pay extra 500 Yen for a night
*Very close to the main drag and market streets
*A bit hard to find upon first arriving, I recommend going into business around and asking with a map in hand





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb