Islands Worlds Apart


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Okinawa
November 3rd 2008
Published: November 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

What we have are two completely different atmospheres even though there are only 300 miles of ocean between these islands. Taiwanese are browner skinned and lighter hair, Japanese are fair with darker hair. Japan is far more clean and organized, but that doesn’t mean more Westernized necessarily. Taipei has a lot of “Science Parks” from California Tech companies that are slowly moving to mainland China for better prices they say. Japan has very strict immigration rules including having a thermal scan of your body to see if you have a fever (Norovirus) before they let you in.

The first story that must be told was in Taipei on our way to the National Palace which holds about 5,000 years of Chinese historical artifacts. A few minutes into the ride a woman had to get to a bathroom fast. The bus stopped at a gas station, but it was too late for the lady! Well, ever since we’ve been on the ship, there has been this paranoia about the Norovirus, of course, for good reason. While she was in the restroom, everyone on the bus wanted her to catch a taxi, go back to the ship, whatever as long as she didn’t join us again. The problem is that she returned, but wouldn’t you know, sat right behind us. She also coughed several times during the day, at times, not covering her mouth behind us. Well, you can just imagine about a 10 foot radius of empty space around her the whole day.

Next we stopped at the Martyr’s Shrine, sort of like our Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Washington D.C. and we watched the changing of the guard here, too. Then we rode to the Democracy Memorial Hall, or the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall. He brought 2 million people from China to Taiwan to become a democracy, and they are grateful. The woman from the bus made it straight to the front of the bathroom line here, too.

We stopped to take pictures of Taipei 101, tallest building in the world at 504 meters, with an elevator that goes 60 kmh, making your ears hurt they say. I had to take pictures of postcards because my camera’s battery went dead. After this short stop, it was back to the ship docked at Keelung and we got to shop all around there, and I found a new camera battery believe it or not!

The very next day, we were in Okinawa where I think my Dad was stationed at some point of his 22-year Navy career. They took us to the Shurijo Castle Park in the Southern part of the island, originally a 15th century castle, leveled in 1945 by the U.S., then rebuilt in 1992. They have a glass window in the floor of the only original part left. There seems to be some bad feelings about the U.S. still, as can be seen in the picture of the Communist man broadcasting on bullhorns that the Americans should get out of Okinawa (our bases in the North).

We were dropped off at Kokusai Street in the city of Naha for shopping. This was a busy street with a mile of shops, a karate competition, and entertainment going on. It was back to the ship and we set sail around 7 p.m. This night was island night on the Lido deck with a Caribbean band that was great. It was the best party of the criuse, a warm beautiful night with dancing, conga lines, line dancing, etc. My sore ankle got stepped on two times because I went the wrong way!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



3rd November 2008

Wow! We miss you guys! Amazing pictures and oh, what an experience!
3rd November 2008

I hope no one ever steps on your foot again. Whew - ugly. You would make a wonderful dragon for Halloween. This weekly blog was newsy and the pictures were great. The virus sounds really scary, stay healthy. See you soon.
3rd November 2008

Your foot
Everything sounds great. Makes me want to start planning a trip to Asia. I hardly recognized you! Your foot must hurt! Love you, Jill

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb