Shuri Castle - Okinawa


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Okinawa
February 25th 2021
Published: February 25th 2021
Edit Blog Post

http://www.heygo.com 25th February- Shuri Castle: Legacy of the Ryukyu Kings



Today our virtual guides were James & Becka, both from the U.K. living in Okinawa for some years teaching Karate.



Situated on top of a gentle hill in Shuri, Shurijo Castle was surrounded by curving castle walls, and within these walls were numerous structures. Built in 1879 the castle was the central administrative body of the Shuri Royal Government of the Ryukyu Kingdom. It flourished as the center of politics, diplomacy, and culture in the Kingdom, and it was also the royal residence of the king and his family.



Shuri Castle was destroyed by fire three times during the Ryukyu Kingdom period, and the fourth time in World War II. Each time, the Castle was restored.

In 1992, the Seiden of the Castle was reconstructed, modeled after the Seiden rebuilt in 1715. It remained standing until the collapse of the Ryukyu Kingdom.



The building was constructed with a unique, Ryukyuan style, bringing together influences from both Japan and China. Brilliantly colored in vermilion, it was known as the only “red castle” in all of Japan and was unlike
any other.

Construction work continued even after the opening of the Shurijo Castle Park in 1992, restoring numerous structures and areas within the Castle.



The approach to the castle's central buildings leads through multiple gates, including the well known Shureimon Gate.



With the February 2019 opening of the private living area of the royalty, known as Ouchibara, visitors were able to appreciate the overall layout of the castle grounds after 27 years since the opening of the Park.



It was registered as a World Heritage site in 2000 and was the site for the Okinawa Summit in the same year, appearing in commemorative 2000-yen notes.



Although we could not enter learnt about a tunnel network under the castle that was used by the Imperial Japanese Army as a headquarters during the ferocious Battle of Okinawa in 1945.

The site was the headquarters for the 32nd Army, which had overall command of the fighting late in World War II that is thought to have claimed the lives of one in four Okinawans. Entry into the tunnels is restricted due to fears of a collapse.



Disaster struck again in October 2019.

The fire started just before 02:40 local time on Thursday.It is still unclear what might have triggered it.

The fire was eventually put out at around 13:30, but all seven key buildings of the castle were burnt down.



James showed images before & after the fire. Heartbreaking to see.



This was my first virtual tour to Okinawa, look forward to future tours here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement






Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0752s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb