Naha Tug of War


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Okinawa » Camp Kinser
October 12th 2008
Published: October 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Naha Tug of War



Today there was an annual Tug of War competition in downtown Naha. Because I decided to go to church, I wasn't able to attend the festivities but here's some information I found online about the event. Although the article is a few years old, it gets the basic facts across as to what the event entails.

East meets west in great tug-of-war
By: Bill Charles
Date Posted: 2006-10-07
Website: http://japanupdate.com/?id=7138

A world record stands in the balance Sunday as the 35th annual Naha tug-of-war unfolds in downtown Naha.

Tens of thousands will join hands trying to move a 40-ton rope in the great Ryukyu Kingdom Festival Tsunahiki, an event that first made its way into the Guinness Book of World Records in 1997. The rules are simple; an estimated 25,000 men, women, boys and girls will team up with either the east or west side to shift the behemoth five meters during a half-hour competition.

An estimated 300,000 spectators will gather on Route 58 at Kumoji Crossing in downtown Naha for the tug-of-war, which ceremonially begins Sunday at 3pm when representatives of four teams from east, and four from the west, perform a series of martial arts demonstrations. After speeches and praise for the 16 tug-of-war teams making up the two sides, the fun begins. The two lengths of rope, each measuring some 300 feet long, are pulled together and coupled with a 10-foot wooden peg.

Kings symbolizing the supremacy of two dynasties in Naha centuries ago approach each other atop the rope with their royal courts, issue challenges to one another, and then command the tug-of-war begin. Team leaders clamor aboard the nearly two-meters wide rope and begin mustering their supporters into place.

Hundreds of pulling ropes are separated from the main rope, and all hands grab on, waiting for the signal. Once given, the pulling begins to cries of Œyoishi¹, O-Shoi¹ and ŒHai-ya¹, meaning heave ho, or pull harder. The battle lines are formed, with east and west each trying to move the rope five meters within 30 minutes.

The tug-of-war dates back to 1600, when it served a dual purpose. Villagers from east and west did honorific battle for victory as a sign to shamans who predicted the future. The prayers were for a good rice harvest. The second motive was to instill peace and stability into the lives of seafarers of this island nation, and to insure their safety. The tug-of-war rivets spectators during the hour-plus event, after which knives come out for everyone to cut ceremonial pieces of the rope to take home.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb