Brisbane to Guam


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Nagasaki » Nagasaki
March 7th 2009
Published: March 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

24th Feb
While steaming away from Brisbane we thought that it was about time-as we had a couple of days at sea- to become domesticated and properly unpack and place all those empty cases under the bed. Judi enjoyed watching the sea whilst ironing- made it almost a pleasure.

25th Feb
Early rise as we were to be sailing through the Whitsunday islands. We were quite excited at the imminent visual delights; however we sat next to a strange Australian man during breakfast who nattered constantly so we missed most of them. He was a poor soul! With a Foo-manchoo beard, he claimed to be a scientist who was out to save the world. Even though he had a broken back from tumbling off a motorbike in the Australian outback at age 18, he said he was a dare devil, an aviator, a biologist, a nutritionist and an explorer and had trained to be an astronaut (don’t remember any Aussies going to space). He claimed to have studied to expert level almost every subject under the sun- Bless. To make matters worse he was deaf as a post so we could not interrupt his constant flow of chatter. We’ll just have to make a return trip to see the Whitsunday islands sometime later!!!
I had my first experience of being pampered by some Oxyjet facial therapy-clamed to make one look younger-don’t they all say that! It was just nice to lie down and do nothing for an hour!!! During this time Murdo joined a photography club to help him better understand his new camera! He went away all excited like a wee lad with a new toy.


26th Yorkies Knob
Yes that’s the real name- small place containing a few boats, Cairns, the main city was several miles away, we had booked a Great Barrier Reef excursion. Not sure what to expect but very excited about going.
Day started well- up and out without bother, lots of people on the boat (catamaran) or cat a meringue, which was big and bouncy, I needed sea sickness tabs. It was 1 ½ hours on the catamaran to get us to a floating pontoon in the middle of the ocean. Really the middle, there was no land to bee seen from horizon to horizon. Unfortunately we forgot the underwater camera flash card, so bought disposable underwater cameras from boat-so we won’t know if the pictures are ok till get home
A bit apprehensive about getting in to the sea- being the middle of the ocean, fear of sharks and jelly fish and anything else that bights yer bum! Wore sky blue lycra suits that covered us from head to toe- we looked like power rangers. Got kitted out with snorkels and had a photo taken-Judi should have gone to speck savers!!! And off we went
At the pontoon the sea was quite choppy, however a safe environment with life guards and plenty of folk swimming around
Amazing coral reef, lots of assorted fish- some very big ones and some ickle, shoals of them, lovely colours. Murdo had problems with being water tight and kept filling up his mask with water, the beard let in water - not enough density in it. . He lost his snorkel somewhere in the ocean in one of his attempted dives to chase big fish - only realised when ashore that the big impediment to getting deep to chase fish was his life jacket which struggled to keep him afloat despite him trying to defy the laws of nature.!!!
Underwater photos of us were taken by divers which turned out brill we thought. They provided an Indian curry for lunch by which time we could have eaten all the fish we were looking at. hungry work flopping around in the ocean, however tiring, it was great fun.
Sat on top of the catamaran again on way back-without sun cream, I got burnt to a frazzle, BRIGHT red face and consequently 2 huge cold sores that resembled the Australian continent - won’t do that again! Murdo just became a little pink!!
Returned exhausted, ate dinner and off to a show and then crashed!!!

27th Feb
Tried to be healthy and did 10 laps walking around the deck which was equal to just over 3 miles, had to rest afterwards…just a bit tooo ambitious!!! Murdo signed us up for unlimited use of the mineralised hydra pool, spa and heated relaxation beds..cool.. so we went to test them out. All we can say about it is once you’re in you don’t want out!!!! We were making plans to convert his living room into such like!! We must have been affected by those powerful minerals!!
Just to say we will do at some point soon a photo shoot of a typical day at sea for us as most onboard days are similar, to save keep boring you all with mundane stuff. Plus we are having difficulty remember what we get up to onboard each day, even though we have folks doing everything for us, we don’t seem to have enough daytime to fit all that we want to do in them and are busy busy and loose track!!


28th Feb
Rainy day. Today we were mainly in the hydra pool and spa and eating food and watching the storm.


1st March
Today was the day we were to cross the equator line. BIG moment on board with special activities and ceremony planned. Of course we had to join in. It was not good weather but didn’t stop the fun. The crew had a ball dressing up and acting daft!!! They had tug’o war and it’s a knock out themed games in the pool between the crew and Neptune’s pirates, of course the crew had to win otherwise we could not cross. We were given very nice certificates as a reminder of the event. I got caught up when they did the activity songs and bounced around the deck liked a loony…Murdo might display the evidence…


2nd March
Murdo treated himself to some personal photography tuition. He says he’s still confused…but did learn a few extra things. He is taking some lovely pics but developing a bit of a love hate relationship with his camera..its the only time I ever hear him ‘loose’ it as his machine won’t play ball!! What’s the saying about a man blaming his tools he-he. I love my point and shoot snappy camera, even if half my photos are out of focus!
We enjoyed a lazy day and sat out on our deck for the first time for a sleep catching a few rays.

3rd March Guam
This was to be a pit stop for fuel and we were to have only few hours on shore. The day was scorching but we were well lathered with cream this time.
Guam is a tiny island half way between Australia and Japan in the middle of the pacific, hardly shows up as a speck on the map- find it through google maps!!
Found by Vasco digamma in 1500’sish, although according to the natives it had never been lost and then invaded by somebody. The USA used it for a base in the war. Some poor Japanese chappie, who was a lost soldier, hid for 25 years after the war defending himself. He did not know the war had ended until he eventually surrendered- possibly after tasting his first big mac! and has returned with his family each year for his holidays ever since. His legend lives on and consequently a million Japanese tourists flock to his memorial each year (well…..also to see the war memorial) . True story, check Wikipedia. The poor soul!
Mainly inhabited by Americans the noo and Philippinos, yet they all seem to think they are Hawaiian and flog tatty souvenirs of same theme to try and convince us too. We nearly bought Kenneth a kid on Hawaiian ukulele. But came to our sense at the last minute, poor bloke will probably get a t-shirt instead but not from this place.
The transport from the boat into Guam was poorly organised and nearly 2000 folk were trying to leave the port. There was an hours queue for the shuttle buses and people were giving up and going back on the ship as it was very hot and no shade. Remember 85% of them were probably over 75 and not up for it!!. We were told that taxis were a 20 min walk away so us youngsters decided to leg it, only to find they were only around the corner! 2 min walk. Others saw us walk pass everyone in the line and asked to share our taxi. On the way back was worse as they had not organised enough shuttle buses so had to put extra on and delayed the ship leaving port by 1 hour. Some grumpy folk that day. We will make sure we are equipped with better knowledge and possibly book future transport to get us away from the ship.
It was a nice drive into the capital- whose name slips me at the moment- We are writing this a week after we were actually there!!! We were dropped off in the most expensive shopping area- the usual thing- but soon found our bearings and were off exploring. The first thing we came across, apart from ABC stores, a blast from the Hawaiian past for Murdo- was an aquarium, we went in and had a great time seeing sharks and stingrays etc swimming right over our heads. Got some nice pics and videos.
On further exploration we found Guam had a fantastic beach I paddled and collected coral, well at least it looked like coral as it wasn’t until the next day that Murdo showed me a sign that he’d photo’d about deadly bacteria that we were supposed to stay away from, but nobody told us, we had part of the beach to ourselves, thought that this was great but now having regrets, time will only tell. Ooh dear the Japanese officials are to thermal image us tomorrow goodness knows what they’ll find, I’m laughing now but might not be doing next week. Get yer ‘empties’ parties in quick as we may be home before we intended!!! Tears are rolling down our face whilst writing this, we must be delirious already…… oh no…. it’s that deadly bacteria. Oooh it so looked like paradise- we were fooled. …. enough hilarity where’s the prophylactic immodium!!!!!! Don’t worry …Murdos’ safe as he never set foot in the water…I wonder if this was a dastardly plan to run off with all me dosh as he poisoned me in the pacific…!!!!!
We came of the beach and walked up the back roads to town passing where the ordinary folk lived. Always like to get a feel of reality and not just touristy life. It was funny when I came across a traffic manhole that said beneath the word ‘traffic’ Neenah…you know the sound kiddies make as they mimic emergency vehicles..what made it funny that when I looked up to draw Murdos attention to it I saw a row of police motorbikes in front of a police station, we did laugh..neenah…neenah….neenah!!! oh the simple things!!!
We had a gentle walk back to the centre were we found another ABC store and had to go in and buy goodies, Murdo really getting his fix!! We bought macadamia nuts by the million in various disguises. We decided to walk away from the main area only to find ourselves in the red-light district..you know strip shows and adult supplies shops etc. the heavens opened on us so decided it was a good idea to get back to a less seedy place. We ended up in the Hawaiian look alike shopping centre where we bought even more nuts..if we don’t eat them all, orders can be placed for the remainder!!!
We waited for an hour for the return coach back to the ship. It was a nice half hour drive, it is a pretty island however the buildings looked quite run down but streets were clean and litter free and lovely beaches and blue seas. Back at the ship we bypassed the sail away party and found a quiet spot to watch our departure from this pacific island. We were amazed to see the pilot boat do a complete about turn on the spot..clever. we like to watch the assisting pilot jump off the ship after their work is down. Sometimes the waves are real rough and wonder how they find the courage to jump from one boat to another!
Of to shower and change for our formal ‘black and white’ evening meal. I rebelled and wore black and cream!!! Caught the show and then crashed. Another lovely day.
Next instalment already being written as we up the aunty to catch up before we start doing the REAL cruise thing of one day at sea and one day on shore…
Wish us luck.
This offering was written by Judi as she is missing doing assignments (NOT) while assisted by Murdo with the memories.




Additional photos below
Photos: 95, Displayed: 31


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb