Festival time in Kyoto


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Kyoto
July 17th 2012
Published: July 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Over the last few days we have spent the days visiting sites and the evenings enjoying the festival preparations. Visited temples in the Northern Higashiyama area. Felt a bit like taking photos for a special edition of Home and Garden. Lots of lovely homes and beautiful gardens, so peaceful.

On another day took the local train to the far side of the city to see the bamboo grove and a silent film actor’s famous garden. It was the hottest day of our visit, bright sun and blue sky. Big crowds walking along the fairly short and attractive bamboo lined walk. The gardens were lovely it took 30 years to complete, not many flowers, all shrubbery, probably plenty of blossom and autumn colour trees. House was lovely too, very manageable size with views over Kyoto too. Had tea and cake at the end, the green tea was strong and cold! Visited the Golden Pavilion, despite arriving about 15 mins before closing time it was still very busy, lots of young women in kimonos having their photos taken. Impressive building as it’s several stories covered in gold and the pavilion sits on a big pond surrounded by garden so has a lovely aspect.

In the evenings went into the city to have a look at the castles that are being built as floats for the festival on the 17th. The crowds were huge, lots of people flooding down the streets, all very orderly and lots of people in traditional dress, lovely kimonos with their hair done up and wooden sandals. The castles are huge with lit lanterns decorating the sides, men on the high platforms in traditional outfits playing traditional instruments and ringing bells .

Advertisement



Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb