Osaka and Kyoto


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Kyoto
July 13th 2012
Published: July 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

A four hour bus ride in a comfort with only three other passengers took us to Kyoto. Found K’s Hostel and went straight to find money and were so relieved to be able to takeout cash from Citi bank! Visited two of the temples in easy walking distance from here (and both free). Both huge, one had the biggest wooden building in the world, it was enormous, impressive covered in hundreds of tatami mats, sliding doors at the front hiding the altar. The second one was also impressive with a very decorative side gate.

In the evening went to the station as there’s a food court. Surprised how impressive the inside of this very modern building is. Sweeping arcs of metal beams, lots of glass and very high atrium. The escalator went very quickly from the GF up to the 11/F. Found a good noodle eatery on the 10/F. Had to pay in a machine by the entrance, it had pictures of the food on it fortunately. It was a good meal and pleasant enough place to eat. Had a shopping basket under the table to put your bags in, nice and tidy, and raw eggs amongst the condiments!

Poured with rain all night and was still raining this morning, so decided to head for Osaka . The aquarium is biggest in the world, huge. Main big tank has a whale shark, hammerhead sharks and a mola mola who seemed fascinated by its own reflection in the tank mirror. Filled in an enjoyable few hours. Osaka castle was less impressive, a modern interpretation, clearly a lot of work by restorers and reasonable views over the city.

In the evening we went out to Gion on the bus, the main old town/ geisha area of the city. Wandered around some streets, saw lots of women in kimonos, Only saw two geisha girls, beautifully made up.

First day really looking around Kyoto. Went to 5 temples in the southern Higashiyama area, unfortunately three had major building work going on. Started with Kiyomizudera Temple, in beautiful grounds up on the hillside overlooking the city. Huge main hall with a big veranda overlooking what must be beuatiful autumn colours. Then across to Keninji Temple, again nice grounds but the highlight were the big dragons painted on the ceiling of the 13th century temple (the dragons were painted for the 800th anniversary just 10 years ago). From there through lovely streets of high walls, wooden houses and clearly well-tended small gardens to Kodaji Temple, big Japanese style house with lovely gardens, a Zen raked garden, all very peaceful. Then to the massive Chion in Temple, this has a massive gate at the bottom of a flight of stairs. Unfortunately at the top is a massive scaffolding exoskeleton over what is a huge temple. Could only walk around the outside. Back down to the final temple of Shoren-in, another set of lovely buildings with tranquil gardens. All these oases of peace in this relatively busy city. We were surprised that the first place we went to was heaving with tourists but nowhere else was.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb