A sojourn in Kyoto


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Kyoto
September 21st 2019
Published: September 21st 2019
Edit Blog Post

On 4 September we were off travelling, first stop Kyoto, taking the Shinkansen which departed from Tokyo station. It was a journey of about four hours and, as we'd booked a room at the Kyoto Tower Hotel which was just opposite Kyoto Station, as soon as we arrived it was a case of leave our luggage in our room and head off to the Kyoto subway where we'd organised to meet up with Keiko Kiriyama who I last saw at the Dickens International Conference in Eastbourne, UK. Keiko is an Associate Professor at Kyoto University who gave a talk at the Eastbourne Conference on 'Dickens and Dance' so it was lovely to see her again.



With the skies darkening the three of us headed off to the Shokokuji Jotenkaka Museum which entailed walking through a garden of many trees. Before we reached the museum the worst electrical storm - which was directly above us - gave us the fright of our lives as we envisaged being struck by lightening or having a tree crash onto us as it was struck by lightening. Never have I been outside in such a ferocious storm so it was such a relief to finally arrive at the museum!



Once inside the museum - built in April 1984 to commemorate Shokoku-ji which was founded in 1392 - it was all peace and calm. While you couldn't take photos in there the museum exhibited a number of outstanding works including five National Treasures and 145 important Cultural Properties.



Luckily when we left the museum the storm was over as Keiko took us on a walk through a part of Kyoto we hadn't visited before ending up at her favourite French Restaurant called Passion where the food was superb. Thanks Keiko for showing us around and spending the afternoon and evening with us. We hope to get the opportunity to show off Sydney to you at some tme in the future.



The following day, before catching the Shinkansen to Okayama on our way to Matsuyama, Kev and I went to have another look at our favourite Kyoto temple, the Hingashi Honganji which is the biggest wooden temple in the world. Then we were off to Kyoto Station for our journey to the island of Shikoku.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



23rd September 2019

Kyoto
Sounds like a wicked storm. Glad you stayed safe. We are eager to go to Japan.
23rd September 2019

Wicked storm in Kyoto
Despite the fact that the thunder and lightening was LOUD & VERY SCARY, such danger does have an exciting edge to it.

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb