Kyoto


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Kyoto » Gion
November 23rd 2006
Published: November 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi

We left Tokoyo on the bullet train (shinkansen) we were both very excited it has been a dream of ours. It was as good as expected and we were right train spotters (as you can see from the picture Matt had his anorak on te he) I got told off 2 times and Matt once for going over the yellow line whilst taking our pictures.

We arrived in Kyoto and went to find our hotel for the night which we had booked at home. It is called a Rykon and is a Japanese traditional house. You have a room, at night you unroll a very thin mattress. We had four night here and by the end of it we were glad to go as our backs,hips,kness everything ached, all very nice to experience but never ever again, done it been there got the bloddy bruises ha ha. We also had to share a toilet with about 10 people and one shower this is just so much not me. The thing that we found very very difficult is they all have curfews you have to be in by 11oclock if not in you where locked out for the night very strange. Thankfully Kyoto was not big on bars or clubs.

We spent the first looking around the Gion region which is where the Geisha's are from. We went to a temple which was just out of this world called the Kiyomizu. It is a thousand years old and is being put forward as one of the wonders of the world. You have a longwalk up to the temple which is like the pilgrims way however now lined with shops and restaurants, but very pretty. They had a lot of street stalls selling food and little bits to try free, by the time怀we got to the top we were so full up we could of rolled down. We saw lots and lots of Geishas but are tourists from Tokyo. I do not know why they do it it looks so uncomfortable.

The next day we met up agian with a goodwill guide another 70 year old man that marched us around. I just do not know where they get there energy, (it must be all that raw fish and sea vegetables), he had also worked that night!!!!! We went to a bamboo forest it was amazing they are so tall. We then visited another temple which had the lovelist garden, Kyoto is very well know for its gardens. The trees are also all amazing colours at the moment.

Well hope you are all well. Take care.

love

Dee

xxxxx




Who comes up with these stupid ideas? Stay at a trad Jap house, get the feel for how the Japs live!

Well let me tell you THEY all sleep on the old slumberland specials these days, let us poor muppets sleep on the traditional fag paper thin fellas. I could feel every mouse dropping under it. The only refreshment was a cup of green tea, well I can promise you it goes out the same colour as it goes in and Im guessing it tastes similar as well!

Still could have been worse, could be in a camper van in a storm in NZ or something !!!! For another day readers, for another day.

Now we have moved on from Japan I have to say it was a fantastic experiance that I would willingly do again. The politeness is unbeleivable,the place is as safe as houses and it was not that expensive. But for a nation that has so much history it is a little short of physical things compared to Europe. Obviously the odd earth quake or nucular bomb dont help but thats the way it is.

matt


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



30th November 2006

It all looks amazing! So, the Southern softies couldn't hack it on the floor?! I bet George and Jasp are enjoying your comfy bed back home!! Keep on enjoying and having the time of your lives! xxxx
30th November 2006

Wow!
Hi Guys, Absolutely loving reading your Blog, your travels sound and look amazing and I really look forward to your updates! I am really missing you and my phone bill will be much cheaper without all those texts! Stay safe and Evie sends her Auntie- Bonkers and Uncle- not -so -bonkers a big kiss xxxxxxx
30th November 2006

It's great to hear from you, Dionne. It all sounds very exciting. Not much happening at home, other than Christmas fast approaching. Elizabeth Fussell had baby boy, Oliver Rhys Glyn! Mother and baby doing well, Love Pat
3rd December 2006

Getting Portly!!!
Hi guys, Well you sound as if you really are having an adventure! It is very quiet here without you, I miss the cackle from next door!..Gav is very quiet! Hope you get to Oz whilst we are still up in the cricket! Pete on his way to Sydney on 12th, will he miss you? Otherwise he will be there Jan! Getting quite rotund now! 20weeks! Keep the blogs coming! For me stuck here now its a taste of the good old days!!! Miss you both.. Hat xxx
4th December 2006

Hello
Hi, Dionne. Happy to hear from Kyoto. Nice experience eh. We will have our x'mas night at Hilton on Thursday. We will miss you and of course you will miss the fun too. Regards from all ward 14 staff. Hilda
19th December 2006

Photos
Photos are great fellas! Smiled when I read your comments on trad japanese house!

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb