Day 106: Natsu Hanabi!


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kanagawa » Yokohama
July 12th 2008
Published: July 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It's the start of the fireworks festival in Japan! Sugoy ne?

From mid July till the end of August Japan completely goes mad for celebrating natsu (summer) with huge fireworks festivals happening all over Japan every weekend, and loads of weeknights.
A lot of people prefer to go to Hanabi festivals dressed in traditonal yukata (a kind of light weight summer kimino) but as the first of the festivals was happening at the beach Sanae and I decided to leave the yukatas at home and patriotically wear a more traditional Australian costume. So kitted out in denim skirts, singlet tops and thongs we headed through Tokyo to the Yokohama prefecture beyond.
When we arrived there were thousands of people milling through the stalls, munching on calamari, tayokyaki and sausages the size of a baseball bat, getting drunk on shochu cocktails and running amok in wooden clogs with kiminos trailing airily behind them.
The hanabi (fireworks) started at 7:20, and went for about an hour, lighting up the sky and colouring the boats (we were right near the navy base) on the harbour beneath. It was absoloutely beautiful and a perfect start to the summer fireworks season.

Advertisement



13th July 2008

looks like an alien! one of those ones that enters through your nose and takes over the 'host'.. im sure it was yummy tho!
26th July 2008

nyihihi.thats so cool!

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0827s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb