Volcano Neighbor


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kagoshima » Kagoshima
April 10th 2023
Published: April 10th 2023
Edit Blog Post

2023_Blog 15_Japan



April 4 Port of Call: Kagoshima, Japan – Weather: 69°F/21°C – Overcast skies – Wind 14 mph.





After enjoying a sea day, we returned to the Japanese Islands and docked at Kagoshima today across the harbor from an active volcano. Smoke was viewed emerging from the volcano, which had a substantial eruption just two weeks before we arrived.

Today we had another marathon shore excursion experience beginning with a drive down the Satsuma Peninsula. Our first stop was at the Sengan-en Garden also known as the Iso Garden. Once the home of the local samurai lord the site has been restored. Many historical sites in Japan had been destroyed during the nation’s multiple civil wars and during the period when Japan adopted Western industrial and political ideas during the late 19th Century.

The garden incorporated the archaeological remains of one of Japan’s first serious iron foundries established during the Meiji Industrial Revolution and used primarily to produce heavy military ordinance. A 1/10th scale model of the weapon was on display in the museum. There we also found a full set of illustrated panels describing the construction of the foundry and how it operated. The site was recognized in 2015 by UNESCO.

After a leisurely stroll through the garden complex, we boarded the bus and were driven to Chiran. There we experienced a uniquely Japanese meal for our lunch. A small boiling pot of water was provided so that each guest could cook a variety of meats and vegetables to their own liking.

Following lunch, we toured the Chiran Peace Museum, a site dedicated to the history of the Kamikaze pilots. At the entrance to the grounds there were two examples of the aircraft used by the pilots. In addition two bronze statues, one of a mother looking towards a young pilot in his full flying gear, symbolized the sacrifice made by both. The grounds are dotted with multiple stone memorials to honor the young pilots that surrendered their lives for their nation during the Second World War. A museum building housed the photographs of all the pilots who trained at Chiran before heading off to Okinawa. The physical remains of one of the aircraft, which was used during the conflict and retrieved from the sea, was also displayed.

The final stop was at the Samurai residences found in Chiran. Constructed during the Edo Period these were the retirement homes used by that warrior class as the nation transitioned away from their use as a military force. The home and gardens surrounding them served as peaceful oases.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 46; dbt: 0.11s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb