Kyushu. Japan Day 8. Ibusuki


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kagoshima » Ibusuki
April 23rd 2015
Published: April 23rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 8
Makurazaki to Ibusuki
Dist 39 miles. Ave. 13.5. Ascent 687m
Today was a relatively low mileage but was packed with activities. Straight from the hotel we were faced with a steady gradient for one mile before being brutally assaulted by a harsh climb up through the tea plantations which started at about 100 m above sea level. We were amazed how wide the bushes were and the narrow gap between them, in contrast to those in India and China. We were soon to find out why when we saw a track laying machine cutting the leaves in fine fashion at walking speed and blowing them into a hopper. We were informed that this is done every four weeks and produces a lower grade tea than the hand picked leaves since they cut a bit of stalk and cut the leaves on half. It is important to get the leaves into the factory as soon as possible since fermentation starts very quickly. We called at a small tea shop which sold tea, pots, tea caddies etc in nice Japanese art. After Lyndon and Caryl had a go at driving the tea cutter we made our way back down the hill to sea level to enjoy the Japanese coastline once more before a cuppa at the foot of the volcano at Mount Kaimon. Funnily on the way there Martin and myself stopped at a viewpoint and a lady came rushing up to us asking where we were from etc and then asked for a ’selfie’ with us - the tables have been turned. The ride around the mount was quite pleasant which took us to a flower park, where we ate our packed lunch before going round an excellent display of flowers and trees with a butterfly house and a great display of orchids. Another surprise was in store for us as we went along the coast and visited the ’Sand Spa’. This was an Onsen with a difference. We all togged up in Kimonos and were lead to a private beach where we laid down on the sand in kimonos and then had hot sand shovelled onto us with just our big toes and head showing. We were left there for 15 minutes, or more if you wanted, boiling alive. This was followed by a shower and dip in the Onsen before trying to dress a body which refused to dry. There was a 20% climb up from the beach, which had a few grunting, before the 10 mile ride to our hotel in Ibusuki, which is a tourist town and is very attractive with some wonderful gardens and parks. The Kyukamura Ibusuki Hotel was up to the usual excellent standard, although we were sleeping on the floor again on the thin Japanese mattresses - my shoulders and neck Aghhh.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb