Volcanic springs and things


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hokkaido » Niseko
February 2nd 2010
Published: February 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

I've been in the resort for about a week now, and we've had over a metre of fresh snow so far, and it's snowing very lightly as I write this. We were all moved into one house together - the skiers and the snowboarders, and it just so happens to be brand new, and very plush! It's a bit of a hike from the slopes, mind, but we can slide across the carparks on the way back at least. The town has 5 onsens - thermal baths, (need to explore these) and the resort is actually down the side of a volcano; i'm not sure if it's extinct or not! This explains the baths, and the horrendous smells at various points on the slopes! There's a spectacular volcano opposite, too, looking for all the world like Fuji, but not tall enough! Every day we meet up, shred a few runs, then teach each other as if we were beginners and get bored, but it really shows up how much effort is required to give a good lesson! We had to pretend to be kids today - i'm bored, i'm cold, I want to go home! We now have a few days to ourselves to practise, and a day in another resort, and a day at the snow festival; should be good! It's now flipping cold - thermometer was -18 up the mountain tonight.. Did I mention the night skiing? From 5pm onwards they turn the lights on for half the mountain, the vis is better than during the day, and the tree runs are even more fun! You can actually be on the mountain tonight for 12 hours a day! Went up there tonight for and it was virtually deserted - you can really point the board straight and fly down the mountain! The fresh powder really helps, too!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb