Japan is Actually Beautiful!! (Joe Corvo Day)


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hiroshima
May 1st 2006
Published: June 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Gang at SandankyoThe Gang at SandankyoThe Gang at Sandankyo

We recently took a trip out to Sandankyo to enjoy some exhilarating hiking and spectacular nature.
Bland concrete office buildings and tenement-like apartment complexes are opaquely visible against a smog-obscured horizon; power lines propped up on looming metal relay towers cut a swath across mountain tops; rivers, in addition to having their ebb and flow regulated by concrete banks, suffer the further indignity of being home to discarded bicycles, tires, umbrellas and other unwanted debris. These images are hardly what any sane person would consider beautiful. Unfortunately, they are all too prevalent in, and moreover indicative of, modern Japan. It’s a shame that for a population which claims to revere nature so strongly, they’ve done an absolutely terrible job of preserving it. To put it quite frankly, Japan is an ugly country. Or so I thought.

While it’s undeniable that there’s more cement and concrete in this country than is warranted, there are nonetheless some pockets of land where the integrity of Japan’s natural beauty is preserved. One such location exists an hour’s bus ride outside Hiroshima city.

Sandankyo Valley in northwestern Hiroshima Prefecture offers a glimpse of what the Japanese countryside looked like before the cement was poured and the office towers raised to the sky. Many Hiroshimians take a day-trip out to Sandankyo
SandankyoSandankyoSandankyo

The flags inspired us to dub the terminus on the Sandankyo bus line the Sandankyo International Bus Terminal.
to seek a reprieve from the dreariness of an increasingly sprawling city and to remind themselves what nature looks like. In keeping with local custom, a group of us recently did just this.

We were blessed with beautiful weather and because it was technically still the off-season, few crowds. Coupled with Sandankyo’s natural beauty and the company of some excellent companions, this ensured that everyone present had a wonderful and memorable day. For an all-to-brief period of time, we were able to indulge ourselves in the serenity of nature before returning to the squalor of the city. But I think our trip out to Sandankyo and its memory will be enough to make city life seem a little more bearable, knowing that beyond the concrete and power lines, there are indeed places of sanctity.





Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Ben the Buchi ExpertBen the Buchi Expert
Ben the Buchi Expert

I believe the quote when this picture was taken was, “there’s a whole lot of buchi.” Buchi, by the way, is a word we had trouble translating into English. Lacking sufficient river knowledge, we eventually settled on “deep water part of the river thingy.” If anyone can offer more technical insight, please do so.
SandankyoSandankyo
Sandankyo

It’s the start of our hike and already there are no signs of concrete or power lines anywhere. It was an impressive introduction to Sandankyo (we soon discovered the trail was cemented, but we could live with it and it didn’t detract from the overall enjoyment of the park).
Charting the CourseCharting the Course
Charting the Course

"I think the outhouse it that way."
Ryan of the RockRyan of the Rock
Ryan of the Rock

Troubled folks from every corner of the earth undertake an arduous journey to seek the sagely wisdom of this local mystic.
SandankyoSandankyo
Sandankyo

This is one of several waterfalls to be seen along the 16km stretch of ravine.
SandankyoSandankyo
Sandankyo

Some rapids shooting the gorge.
SandankyoSandankyo
Sandankyo

Another waterfall. I like the contrast of colours in this shot.
SandankyoSandankyo
Sandankyo

This is Kurobuchi, or as it’s called according to our translation methods, Black Deep Water Part of the River Thingy.
Suspension BridgeSuspension Bridge
Suspension Bridge

Ryan and Carl are mean to Miyuki and chase her across a suspension bridge near where we’d stop for lunch. For shame. Actually, it was kind of funny to watch.
Lunch TimeLunch Time
Lunch Time

Dig those bentos. Ben, Miyuki, Ryan and Carl all bought a bento lunch box from this lady whom Ben swore was crazy. Apparently, she kept asking him if he wanted to buy a lunch after he had already bought one. And not just once either. The lady allegedly repeated this question three times.
Lunch TimeLunch Time
Lunch Time

Thumbs up all around for lunch time.
LunchLunch
Lunch

A leisurely Lunch was followed by a session of skipping stones. Ah, the life.
SandankyoSandankyo
Sandankyo

Yet another waterfall. It won't be the last either.
SandankyoSandankyo
Sandankyo

Hearty hikers back on the trail.
Taking a BreakTaking a Break
Taking a Break

Am I a dirty voyeur for taking this picture? I mean, it’s not like they’re doing anything and it is kind of cute, isn’t it?
The Ubiquitous Vending MachineThe Ubiquitous Vending Machine
The Ubiquitous Vending Machine

They really are everywhere. Even at this rest station in the middle of Sandankyo.
SandankyoSandankyo
Sandankyo

To reach one of the falls we had to pay 400 yen for passage down this canal on a small wooden boat. There was no paddling though. Instead this old guy pulled us along a network of ropes toward our destination.
The FerrymanThe Ferryman
The Ferryman

And here’s the man himself. There were the five of us as well as two others in the boat. At 400 yen a head that’s 2,800 yen for what amounted to five minutes of work. I’ll tell you what, this guy’s an absolute genius. Why he hasn’t retired to the Cayman Islands yet I’ll never understand.
The FerryThe Ferry
The Ferry

Yes, 400 yen per person was pretty steep, but can you really put a price on this kind of fun? Ben, Miyuki and Carl certainly seem to be enjoying the ride.
SandankyoSandankyo
Sandankyo

And look at this waterfall. Isn’t it beautiful? Why, I’d pay twice as much as I did to see this. Seriously, though, it was pretty magnificent. I’m glad we went.
SandankyoSandankyo
Sandankyo

Here’s the money shot right here. These falls are the reason many nature-lovers, hikers and photographers make the trip to Sandankyo. I wish my camera skills could do it better justice.
SandankyoSandankyo
Sandankyo

Two good friends in front of the falls. It's moments like this that make me realize just how much I'm going to miss life here once I leave.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb