The Tradition of Rice Planting


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hiroshima » Miyoshi
May 28th 2006
Published: May 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday I had a very cultural day in Japan. We went to a small town somewhere close to either Miyoshi, Midori, or Takamiya (not really sure where we were) to plant rice the traditional way. Although rice fields are now planted by machine in Japan, the traditional method is still used for one field per town. The tradtitional way of planting rice in Japan is by hand, with females planting to the rhythm of drums, which are played by men. As one of the planters I was supplied with a yukata (summer kimono) and straw hat to wear.... it was very exciting!

This experience was something that I almost took for granted until halfway through the ceremony I stopped and thought about how lucky we were that the local people were allowing us (foreigners) to take part in something so important to their culture. It was a pretty cool experience! There were about 30 ladies who planted one row, and then stepped back in unison to plant another row. This sequence continued for about an hour, until the entire field had been planted. Oh, once half of the field had been planted they insisted on interrupting with 20 minutes of speeches while we just stood there, in 10 inches of mud! Not so sure I liked that aspect of the tradition!


I am really happy that I was able to take part in such an experience! Next goal... harvesting the rice!




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

The GroupThe Group
The Group

All excited in our traditional attire!
The Japanese DrummersThe Japanese Drummers
The Japanese Drummers

These men set the rhythm which we planted to.. unfortunately I did not know the words to the songs that the ladies sang, but they had something to do with "the color of cherry blossoms," "water," and some play on numbers. A lot of the Japanese in the songs was very old, so it was really hard to understand.
Rice going for a rideRice going for a ride
Rice going for a ride

I am not sure of the meaning behind transporting the rice through the field in such a way, but there must be some reason for it.
Casey and Heather strutting their yukatasCasey and Heather strutting their yukatas
Casey and Heather strutting their yukatas

The yukata is a summer kimono which is traditional attire in Japan. Even today many Japanese people wear kimono and yukata on holidays, or for traditions such as rice planting.
Konbu (kelp) rice ballKonbu (kelp) rice ball
Konbu (kelp) rice ball

Although many foreigners found this one disgusting... I loved it!
Pickled Eggplant Rice Ball... dipped in Bean PowderPickled Eggplant Rice Ball... dipped in Bean Powder
Pickled Eggplant Rice Ball... dipped in Bean Powder

I also loved this one! It's pretty strange when I think about this, but I am actually starting to crave foods such as this rice ball dipped in bean powder.
Stephanie after eating a whole fish!Stephanie after eating a whole fish!
Stephanie after eating a whole fish!

Poor Stephanie! She is Casey's friend who is visiting Japan for a few weeks and we convinced her that a little dried fish was really tasty and that she just HAD TO eat it. Before putting it in her mouth she asked whether the guts had been removed, and so we all lied and said "yes"! It wasn't until the fish had clearly been swallowed when we decided to tell her that not only did she just eat the guts, but the eyeballs, brain, etc. too! Hahah! Welcome to Japan!
Stephanie, Casey, Heather and IStephanie, Casey, Heather and I
Stephanie, Casey, Heather and I

I know... we look pretty damn good with our hats on!
The Female ForeignersThe Female Foreigners
The Female Foreigners

Introduction time.


29th May 2006

Boots
Super pics - what an experience! But I never want to hear another word about MY boots ! LOL
29th May 2006

ACTUALLY YOU LOOK PRETTY GOOD IN THE OUTFIT. WHAT AN AWESOME EXPERIENCE. LOL A.M.
30th May 2006

Hot
This is really great! I love the pictures--great camera....hope you continue with this... I am really really really jealous ;)
31st May 2006

RICING IT
INTERESTING TRADIDITON..ALOT CLEANER THAN MUD BARRI BAAAH

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb