Hiroshima via Kobe


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hiroshima » Hiroshima
October 19th 2008
Published: February 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Tokyo - Hiroshima


HiroshimaHiroshimaHiroshima

The memorial for the bombing of Hiroshima - the building in the background is the only one to survive the blast.
We left Tokyo on the Shinkansen with our destination being Hiroshima via Kobe. The journey straight to Hiroshima was only around four hours so we wanted to stop off at Kobe for some food and jump back on the next train and make it to Hiroshima by early evening.

As usual the train was exceptionally good and we made it to Kobe for something to eat (Kobe Steak) and then get back on board and head towards Hiroshima. We got there around 6pm and took a taxi to the centre of town as the station is situated in the outskirts of the city. We had not arranged a hotel and found it extremely difficult to get one but on the tenth attempt we found a hotel next to the river. I would strongly recommend booking ahead as Hiroshima is a busy city.

It was a 3 star hotel which was clean and had a very good breakfast which we eat quickly and went to the memorial park and see the site where the Nuclear bomb was dropped. It was a very sobering place to be and I found the whole experience very moving after reading diaries of the following
HiroshimaHiroshimaHiroshima

Civic Center was only place to survive - the Bomb detonated about 200 meters directly above the building.
generations from the blast and how mutations and cancer has effected them.

It was a terrible tragedy and a stain on the human race for the rest of time how we did this to each other. The only way to understand is to visit the sight and offer your respects to the ones lost not just during the blast but the following 60 years since also.

The monument that was built in the peace park is very fitting and is set intentionally with you being able to view the only Building surviving the blast. A flame burns continuously for the people lost and is something that anyone who goes to Japan must go and visit to truly comprehend how catastrophic this was to Japan during the time - people of the older generation that the younger generation do not respect what happened.

Hiroshima city obviously had to rebuild after the bombing and it took sometime but it did get to build from scratch and has made a fantastic city for people to come and visit. The Shopping mall is amazing and very long, also the bars and restaurants are spread widely and varied so there is much
Shinkansen Shinkansen Shinkansen

There are varied shapes of bullet trains - this is my favourite.
fun to be had. If you go the right time of the year then try and catch a Baseball game, the stadium in right on the main roadway so is easy to get to.

It was a good place to visit with many emotions running high and low. If you are going then I would say read the background of the city first and that makes it just that little bit more powerful when you are there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb