Fukuoka


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Fukuoka » Fukuoka
November 25th 2013
Published: November 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Fukuoka

The last stop. My colleague and friend Maki from the DRO is from this city. It was a very happy coincidence that she was visiting her home town while we were here as well. So I had the chance to spend a wonderful afternoon with here and get some inside information on some of the things I've been seeing on the journey. We spent the afternoon shopping. Maki knew some very good stores which I would never have found on my own. Sake, Shucho, Japanese pickles, umeboshi, teas and of course ceramics! And the perfect artisans ceramics it was. And a heavy bag and empty wallet afterwards I did have.

In the evening we at along the river at a typical Yatai. A Yatai is a kind of tent set up that sells simple grilled meats and vegetables on skewers, okonomiyaki, oden, ramen, beer, sake and sake. It is very informal. You walk into a tiny space through a tent flap and sit at a bar. No more than 10 people can sit at once. It really is small. At the bar there is a selection of pork, chicken, fish, vegetables and ginkgo nuts on skewers. You just have to point to what you want and it is grilled over hot charcoal outside behind the tent. Directly behind the bar there was a woman taking orders and preparing dishes on a hot griddle and in a pan with boiling water. One of the most memorable dishes I ate was kimchee, egg and pork fried up and tossed together on the hot griddle. So simple! A Yatai is such a local experience. The other people there were quite surprised to see foreigners I think. Even though we could barely speak a word, you can't help but help but being drawn into some sort of interaction with the others. The food remains central. As it often is in Japan. This is a serious food culture. Maki ordered for us and helped to bring the experience closer to my heart. I was so grateful for this.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb