Sumo Wrestling


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Aichi » Nagoya
July 20th 2007
Published: August 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

SumoSumoSumo

Just before the bout begins, wrestlers perform various ancient gestures and rituals.
Sumo dates back some 1500 years ago and it was more like a religion in the sense that it was performed as a ritual dedicated to the gods with dancing and prayer.
Sumo has always been popular and even more so now because of its origins and history. There are even foriegn wrestlers competing, infact the grand sumo champion (YOKOZUNO) is Mongolian , ASASHYORYU and in 2nd place (OZEKI) is a Bulgarian. My favourite...KOTOSHUU!
The foreign exchange program allowed all the students to go and see one of the matches. Nagoya Basho is a very famous known for its high level of competitveness, it runs through the summer season at its peak for 14 days. We got to see some of the best of the best wrestlers. It was definetly one of the most thrilling live action events Ive ever seen. 6 times a year sumo Grand Tournaments are held around Japan, The next one is in Tokyo in September, I will meet with my friend Mayumi and go to the Tokyo tournament for a half day.
The rules of Sumo are not complicated, the clay surface or ring is about 5m in diameter and about 0.5m high. The rikishi or wrestler who touches the clay surface with any part of his body looses the match. The ceremonial rituals practiced before the match are entertaining and hold your attention as this is the ancient Japan from which sumo originated. The fact that they continue the same symbolic dancing and gestures today, 1500 + years later amazes me. I am really hooked on Sumo.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb