Gong Xi Fat Choi, Welcoming The Rat Year


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia
February 7th 2008
Published: February 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The GuardiansThe GuardiansThe Guardians

Statues in front of Vihara Tanah Kilap
It's always interesting to find out cultures which I never knew before. Apparently today, chinese community all over the world are celebrating Chinese New Year 2559, welcoming the new Rat year. Most of them said it would be a prosperous year, as Rat is very smart and able to addapt in various environments. At first, I was really interested to see the Barongsai. A dance played by at least 17 people using huge lion suit and also play traditional instruments such as Gong and Cymbal. The dance is very unique as the dancers form themselves as if they were one huge lion. The Chinese community believed that performing Barongsai could eliminate the Bad Aura. According to Nian Legend, the first Barongsai show held at Qing Dinasty era on a village to get rid of a monster who scared the community. After tried to find out where is the place, I went to the Vihara accompanied by two friends.
The Tanah Kilap Vihara is one of the oldest Vihara in Kuta. Located at By Pass Ngurah Rai next to Mall Bali Galeria, this Vihara is quite well known and has many visitors. So sad to know that we've missed the Barongsai show.
Red LampionsRed LampionsRed Lampions

Chinese ornaments in Red and Yellow colours
According to one of the visitor, The Barongsai allready performed last night at Vihara Tanah Kilap. Fortunatelly, we could still catch up the praying ritual, and also to find out what's inside the Vihara. It's very interestng to see the ornaments which mostly painted RED and YELLOW, as it reflects prosperity. Also there were so many various gods and godesses statue.
The praying ritual done individually. After clean their hands with water, the prayer burn a stick and pray in front of statues reflected gods and goddesses. The prayer also burn yellow paper in fire, which reflects money. As they burn the money, the prayer wish to get more prosperity on their life after death. Before we left the Vihara, my friends and I were hoping to get Angpao (money inside a small red envelope) which usually given by Chinese person who allready married. But I guess it's not our luck 😉 Please take a look on the pictures I've took.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Beautiful GoddessesBeautiful Goddesses
Beautiful Goddesses

Unique Ornaments at the Vihara's Glass Window
Smoke from the SticksSmoke from the Sticks
Smoke from the Sticks

On the desk, next to the Goddesses
Seven GoddessesSeven Goddesses
Seven Goddesses

Statues Inside the Vihara
Prosperity CandlesProsperity Candles
Prosperity Candles

Light Up The Mood
Pray, in Front of BudhaPray, in Front of Budha
Pray, in Front of Budha

Wish a Prosperious New Rat Year
The Sleeping BudhaThe Sleeping Budha
The Sleeping Budha

Budha Statue Inside the Vihara
Burn the MoneyBurn the Money
Burn the Money

Sacrifation for The Future Life
Yellow PaperYellow Paper
Yellow Paper

Let It Burn to Ash


10th February 2008

Great blogs & photos
found your blogs while browsing. you write very well and have some great photos - Lorenza

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb