Lombok and after


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Lombok » Sengigi
March 10th 2024
Published: March 10th 2024
Edit Blog Post

An update on our visit to Lombok!!
It was an hour's drive from our port to the beautiful beach at Seniggi. When we disembarked the ship we were greeted by a steel band and many stall holders selling souvenirs. A cacaphony of noise enveloped us. Lombok is less developed than its neighbouring island of Bali but has some great scenery. During our hour long bus trip to the beach we went through the capital city of Mataram and the old city of Ampenan. The streets were lined with stalls and shops, some very dilapidated while others were better maintained. It was Friday so the holy day on this mainly Muslim island. The mosques are abundant and are brightly painted. The main mode of transport is motor bike or scooter and helmets seem optional. Most had at least two passengers.
At the beach we were taken to a 5 star resort hotel where we sat in the Italian restaurant, overlooking a beautiful bay and connected to the internet. We had a great brunch there with the pizza being very tasty. It was warm without being too hot and it was very pleasant observing the many hawkers who surrounded the brave tourists trying to go for a swim . We did have a short walk along the sand after lunch and then boarded the bus for the hour drive back. Our main aim there was to use the WiFi as it is expensive on board.
On the way back we saw mostly men coming out of the mosques after Friday prayers. They were all immaculately dressed. Many women scooted by on their vehicles. The centre of the island is mountainous and very green with crops like rice and sweet corn noticeable. It is mainly sustained through agriculture and tourism.
Back on board we set sail for Singapore. Unfortunately the next day was very rainy and misty and our epic Shuffleboard Challenge was abandoned due to high winds and a water laden pitch. We have contented our selves with quizzing and reading, and of course, dining. The food has been very good. On Friday night we had prawns, then roast pheasant, not a bad menu.
I have really enjoyed my book which I finished today, interviews with Judi Dench about her acting roles in Shakespeare. If you enjoy the Bard and admire Judi as much as I do you would love this. She does not pull punches and tells some funny backstage stories.
Looking forward to the next few days, Singapore, Penong and then Phuket.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb