Call of the Islands


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Lombok » Gili Air
July 17th 2008
Published: July 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well after eight days and eight nights of island life split between Gilli Meno and Gilli Air, we are trading in the slow pace, minimal change of clothes, primitive plumbing (including cold- partially- salt water showers, and manual flush toilets (the concept really did throw me at first, it's a western toilet w/o the flusher and tank, and you have to fill a little bucket with salt water from a spicket and then dump the water in the toilet, repeat as necessary- this not illiciting as nearly as much of a "you want me do what?" factor as the nasty squat toilet I encountered in the port before getting on the ferry-thankfully I have very loving boyfriend who was willing to stand 'guard' by the door in case of emergency), as we enter my last leg of the trip. Who would have thought that we might tire of the endless hours of lounging beach side, reading, snorkeling, and only having to worry how far down the island we wanted to walk for our next meal. Yet tonight we can both say that we are ready to move on and we have arranged with a guide on the island a tour of Lombok for tomorrow (friday). We will depart from the island tomorrow at 8 am, take a boat to the mainland where our guide, Awan, will meet us along with a driver who will take us around Lombok to take in perhaps what will be our last day of 'culture'. The plan is to vist a couple of waterfalls, as well as a traditional Sasak village (the native peoples of Lombok), observe some woodcarving/weaving, eat traditional Sasak food for lunch, and then be dropped off in the city of Mataram where will stay the night and prepare to take the ferry back to Bali in the morning.

However, our time on the islands has been well spent. We befriended a Brittish couple on the ferry ride over from Bali (it was they who convinced us that Gili Meno was the choice island) and enjoyed their company over sunset beers and a lovely dinner on their last night on the island before heading to the south of Lombok. The reef in Gili Meno proved great for snorkeling and Eric also got to go out on a scuba-dive. Though the beach is much nicer, the island itself more quiet and peaceful, we quickly tired of the food on Gili Meno and were pleased to enounter, albeit a few, more options for meals and accomodations on Gili Air. We also had many pleasant conversations with some of the local people and we were reassured by people's seemingly genuine and sincere nature- (a.ka. not everyone wants to sell you something/take advantage of you!)

All in all our time here has been spectacular and well worth the mildy traumatic experience that was the ride in a pick up truck followed by rides in multiple bemos alongside baskets, bananas, and the curious, yet uneasy staring of the local people- all that followed by the ferry ride where on more than one occasion I was sure the boat was going to capsize.

Most likely we'll be writing you next from Ubud, as we planned before to return there for a couple of days to pick up souvenirs, eat at my favorite "hippie Kafe", and probably get another massage.

Til next time, with love
Us

Advertisement



17th July 2008

Time flies
Stephafter reading about your first few days of experiences there I thought you might be ready to head home, now its sounds like you are really enjoying yourself -who can't enjoy beautiful beaches and massages daily! Perhaps Eric has captivated your interest in continuing to accompanying him on his annual summer journeys. If nothing else just being with Mr. Entertainment himself is quite a trip. Eric looking forward to reading your entries after your counterpart returns home.Stay safe and enjoy
17th July 2008

Over so soon
Holy cow, it seems like you only just got there and it´s already over? So you didn´t like the pick up rides, eh? Tell me about the snorkelling. What about some pics? What is that lazy boyfriend of yours gonna do next? Thrilling stuff, this travel. I´m off to watch HBO for the night. mike
18th July 2008

Hey guys...
Hi Stephanie and Eric. Am enjoying your blogs. These are the days you'll always remember. Sounds like even with the roaches, you're having more fun than I am. I'm at work.... safe travels, keep the reports coming... Shirley
21st July 2008

no fair
It isn't fair that everyone is out of contact at the same time. There are people here who are craving more...Hope you are all having fun and getting ready to give us more soon....
23rd July 2008

Sounds like you guys are enjoying yourselves! Thanks for the updates!

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb