Jakarta


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Jakarta
April 30th 2018
Published: June 6th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Starting off 6 weeks in Indonesia in Jakarta - I'm not sure if it was just me, but aside from the traffic, it seemed pretty mellow. Interesting combo of new skyscrapers and ongoing life in the alleys...

This is also where we first discovered two odd and unexplainable music trends that would continue across Java - 1) A love of Miley Cyrus (first proclaimed by our tour guide in Jakarta, who declared her a sweet and wholesome girl) and 2) A love of Bryan Adams, who's songs our hotel played exclusively in the lobby. For many many hours.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Old TownOld Town
Old Town

One of my favorite things in Jakarta - apparently the thing for visitors to do is rent a neon colored bike with a big matching hat and ride it around the square in Old Town.
Old Chinese House (Chandra Naya)Old Chinese House (Chandra Naya)
Old Chinese House (Chandra Naya)

One of the oldest buildings left in Jakarta (I don't think it was that old...1800s?) - the most interesting thing was how many sky scrapers are literally built on top of it on stilts
Istiqlal MosqueIstiqlal Mosque
Istiqlal Mosque

The largest in Southeast Asia and 3rd or 4th largest in the world (holds up to 200,000 people)
Istiqlal MosqueIstiqlal Mosque
Istiqlal Mosque

A slightly surprising thing in parts of Indonesia...foreigners (aka tall white people) are kind of like celebrities. Everyone wants a picture with you. Everyone. Flocks of school children, cute old ladies, teenage boys...everyone. We aren't exactly sure why...but it's an experience...and a bit overwhelming.
Istiqlal MosqueIstiqlal Mosque
Istiqlal Mosque

We wore provided kimonos to ensure our attire was appropriate in the mosque, but they didn't do much to help disguise our tourist status...


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb