Our last day in Bali


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali
May 18th 2012
Published: May 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Since we had made a hasty departure from Sky Garden the previous night, we werent given the chance to make plans to meet up with Chad and Garrett the following day. We'd already decided on going down to the beach to hang out with Niki's friend Johnny and enjoy some beers in the sun and sort of hoped that we might bump into them there again.
We were a little slow going that morning after consuming so many mystery green, blue and orange beverages the night before, so we had a relaxing morning hanging out with the puppies downstairs while we used the wifi and enjoyed our complimentary breakfasts.
Its amazing what a little food, caffeine and puppy time will do for a hangover and soon we were back on our feet and headed to the beach.
As we walked back onto the sand, sure enough Johnny and his crew were already set up for the day and, seeing us approach, pulled out a couple beach chairs for us to relax in. The surf was low that morning, meaning Johnny had some more free time to hang out and chat with us. As it turns out, there had been another Canadian couple around this morning, and he said they were supposed to come back sometime soon. It seems Johnny's little patch of sand on the beach had a strange attraction for Canadians.
Most of the guys up and down the beach have various decorations around in the hopes of drawing your attention and getting you in. Lots of them had flags hanging in the palm trees, the bulk of them Aussy flags. We promised Johnny that we'd either mail him a Canadian flag or bring him one when we came back next time.
As we were sitting there chatting about his need for a Canadian flag the other two Canadians he'd mentioned walked up. Their names were Taylor and Kelsey and as it turned out they were both from Vancouver! Quick introductions were made and, since the surf was now picking up they were both eager to go out for a surf lesson with Johnny. We offered to keep an eye on their stuff while they went out (convienent since we were planning on sitting there drinking beer anyway) and settled in for a little bit as Johnny set them up with the appropriate sized boards.
No more than 10 minutes after they leave, Chad rolls up and sits beside us. Apparently they had a pretty good evening after we had 'left' SKy Garden and Garrett was still holed up in their room.
We chatted for awhile, trading stories from the night before when Kelsey and Taylor came back from their surf lessons, soggy but otherwise stoked on a good hour and a half of surf.
We exchange introductions and shared a beer with everyone before taking off to get changed and head out for dinner. Before leaving, we made plans to meet up with Johnny and everyone that evening to share a bottle of Sang Som (Thai rum) that we had brought with us from Thailand and to make travel arrangements to Gili Trawanga the next day through Johnny (as he knew a travel guy and could get us a deal).
Niki and I headed out and went looking for a place to get dinner on Poppies Lane. We both decided we wanted a break from the local food tonight and settled on the Irish Bar we had seen the previous night.
Now, I'm not exactly sure how Indonesians view the Irish, but if the decor in this bar is any indication then I'm pretty sure they think they are all from Texas. Minutes after we were seated, country tunes start to kick in and we both took a look around the place. Like most establishments on these sorts of major roads, the place was opulent to say the least; the bar was made up of a giant fish tank (Im sure at one point they must have had sharks in there or something but now it was all bubbles and no less impressive), on the ceiling was a massive accoustic guitar with a disco ball hanging out of the opening.
The menu was made up of all kinds of food, though not surprisingly there was nothing particularly Irish. We settled on Poutine (why we thought it would be good, who can say) and had a couple beers before receiving a text from Johnny that he was down on the beach with the guys waiting for us.
We finished up and headed over to meet up with the gang to go arrange a bus/boat the next morning.
We meet Johnny, Chad and a slightly hungover looking Garrett at the beach and, since Chad and Garrett were also going to Gili T the next day, we agree to travel together the next morning. We follow Johnny through the streets to his friend's travel shop, which as it turns out happened to me a 3 minute walk from our guest house.
Arrangements made, we grabbed some mix and our bottle of Thai hooch and headed down to sit out on the beach and have some drinks together.
Not surprisingly, the beach is just as busy at night as it is in the day, with people sitting in little groups all over the place playing guitar, drinking and having a generally good time.
We sat and chatted with Johnny about local life as a surf teacher and other various stories of the people he meets when Taylor and Kelsey roll up and join us. As it turns out, they were aso planning on going to Gili Trawanga in the coming days and said they'd keep an eye out for us.
We finish up our bottle of rum, say our goodbyes to Johnny and head back to our guest house to get an early night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb