Bali, day two


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali
May 18th 2012
Published: May 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We get up the next morning and have our tasty free breakfast (egg sandwhich with local lombok coffee) and get our things together to head down to the beach.
We roll up onto the beach in roughly the same place as before when someone again recognizes Niki from last year (I suppose carrying a hula hoop around does help a little). This time its a guy named Johhny, a friendly local surf teacher. We sit down and have a few drinks with him and chat. As it turns out, he's already served a couple Canadians that day and he says they might come back. Sure enough about ten minutes later these two guys wander up. Their names were Chad and Garrett and they're from Saskatoon. They've been in Kuta a couple days and spending some time in Jakarta.
We're all sitting there having a beer when a girl walks up to talk to Johnny. Her name is Caroline and she's also from Canada (Quebec) and sits down to have a drink with us. We're all sitting there chatting and getting along marvelously when a thunder storm rolls in. Everyone starts running for cover (including oddly enough, people that were out in the water to begin with).
Its 35+ degrees out and here we are, 5 Canadians sitting enjoying beers and refusing to run for cover. People are looking at us like we're crazy and the rain pours down around us.
Chad announces that, since its already pouring, why don't we go swimming. So Chad, Garret and I run down and flail around in the pounding waves, trying to drunkenly body surf as the rain ends. After getting our ass kicked by the waves for about 15 minutes we wander back up for another beer.
Johhny tells us that the surf is about to get better and asks us if we all want to go out for a lesson. Niki and Caroline decide they're going to keep drinking so Chad, Garret and I head out for a lesson with Johhny and his buddy.
The surf was great and before long we're all managing to stand up and catch waves in. An hour and a half later, exhausted, we head back to sit and get a few more drinks.
By now we're all starving and the five of us head up into town for some food after a quick stop at Chad and Garret's place for another beer.
We grab lunch at a place thats totally empty, which was a mistake as the food was definitely not that great.
After lunch is finished we all decide to meet back up around 7 for drinks for the evening and Niki and I head back to our room.

We all meet up later (sadly we lost Caroline) and head into this five level club called Sky Garden.
Sky Garden boasts free drinks on the top level between 9 and 10 for international guests and we decide this is a challenge none of us can turn down.
We head inside and find it deserted as we start to wind our way up the stairs through the various clubs and establishments. As we reach the top floor we see why its empty, everyone is upstairs.
We find a table and take turns heading up to the bar to get our free drinks. As I get to the bar its not even a situation to order, you're handed a drink (green, blue or orange) and away you go. Surprisingly they are all tasty, though I never did find out what the spirits were that they were mixed with.
After a few drinks we decided this whole one drink a trip thing is terribly innefficient and decide to get a drink, set it down and go back up again.
So we all make a couple trips and rack up about 12 drinks on the table. Satisfied with ourselves, we sit down and start to enjoy our beverages. It's not long before our amassed beverage buffet gets the attention of the bouncers and three of them wander over to berate us for it. We argue futitely before they each grab a bunch of our drinks and confiscate them. What they did with those drinks I have no idea, though I suspect they re-served them (ick).
Our enthusiasm deflated we decide this is ridiculous and that we should play a drinking game to raise our spirits.
Niki and I realize this is a perfect time and place to show off our Flip-Cup prowess. Chad agrees and heads off to grab beers for the game.
As Chad is getting beers Niki and I start to show people how the game is played and grab a couple cups to demonstrate how one has to flip the cup to proceed in the game.
While we're doing this, one of the bouncers who had confiscated our drinks is watching us and storms over to snatch the cups away from us. We're sitting there sort of bewildered as to why he'd do this when I decide I'm going to go over and talk to him. He tells me we're just making us mess because we're angry that they took our cups away, I'm explain to him that we're playing a game. He's not really listening to us and by now Niki has come over to try and figure out whats going on also. The guy is just shaking his head at us and I can tell Niki's getting more irate at the way we're being treated. Finally I manage to convince the guy it was just a game so he walks over to the garbage and gives us back the cups he'd taken away.. out of the garbage. This is just too much for Niki and finally she snaps and swats the cups out of the guys hand as he's thrusting them back at us impatiently.
Minutes later Niki and I are being escorted out of the club and our night is over shortly thereafter.
Laughing, we stagger home and crash for the night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb