Bali - Culture and Religion


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali
April 18th 2009
Published: May 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Procession 12 secs
2: Dancing 38 secs
We visited Besakih after our trip to Mount Batur. On April 9th, two days after our visit, the temple was due to have a huge celebration which only takes place every 10 years. We were lucky to see some of the worshippers bringing their offerings a little early. I quite enjoyed their "tupperware" - colorful cube-like baskets filled with food for the temple.

And while these offerings were special, the Balinese create tons of miniature offerings every day. I don't recall seeing the same type of thing in India, so I wonder if this ritual existed in Bali before the arrival of Hinduism, or if it is a local expression of Hinduism. Whatever the case, the Balinese prepare their offerings in a little square basket made of banana-leaf or something like it, and then pile in flowers of contrasting colors and to that add something edible, like a cracker or some rice. Every store and every house has a little area for its offerings and they are also on the sidewalks in front of stores and restaurants. The Balinese also have temples in their homes, at work and then, of course, they have temples all over the cities.

As it did when I was in India, it filled me with happiness and hope to see people enjoying and living their own religion without feeling the need to impose it on others.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 21; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb