No more cold drinks?


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali
October 20th 2008
Published: October 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bali back to Lombok for our flight to Singapore means either the slow public boat (5hrs) and 9 pounds each including shuttle bus (a sort of 1980's small minibus with bench seats in the back) at either end, or a flight for 27pound each. We decided it would be more interesting and we would see more on the boat.

9.00am our 'bus' arrived and we shared the 2.5 hour journey with a male charge nurse from Nottingham and an American lad studying complimentary medicine and acupuncture. After his explanation of how cold drinks damage your innards, Michelle made a mental note to only drink water at room temperature from now on (Terry dismissed the idea when he realised it included beer!

We arrived at our 'port only to find a queue of about 200 people mainly with motorbikes. We were quickly shown to the front of the queue probably because we were the only whites, Michelle mused whether it would be the same if there is an 'abandon ship' announcement!.

We arrived in Lembar only to find there was no berth for us, so we had to anchor out at sea for an hour before we were allowed in. Lembar is the main port for Lombok Island. We imagined something like Liverpool but it more resembled Rudyard Lake Sailing Club!. We fought through the usual 'hassle' to where our 'bus' was waiting for us and went to our best hotel yet, the Jayarkarta at Senggigi.

It was the right time to leave Indonesia. The constant hassle had started to get us down and , unusually for him, Terry had twice had arguments over money in restaurants and also with a taxi driver. "Do you think I am stupid" and "We have been here a long time you know" come to mind.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.284s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb