Evening in Bali


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali
December 14th 2006
Published: February 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

As nice as the resort was, we did get out to see some of the island! Kuta Beach is a more touristy area (and site of one of the bombings). We went there for dinner one night and weren't terribly impressed; it was like Koh Samui, or worse - Cabo. We walked down to the beach for the sunset and were immediately bombarded with women selling jewelry and sarongs and men painting temporary tattoos. Jimbaran Beach (another bombing site) was more relaxed, with lots of restaurants right on the sand. Some Canadian paramedics we met on a dive trip gave us a tip: get a table in the center of the restaurant area so the beach vendors can't walk up to you - they aren't allowed "in" the restaurants but will bother diners on the perimeter. Even more empty and calm was Sanur Beach. Here we had massages right on the beach and CM had flowers painted on her fingernails for just a couple of dollars afterwards. The masseuses recommended a reggae bar for dinner down the beach at which we were the only diners. The grilled fish was excellent, and the reggae music in the background was just right. Twice a week they have live music (Reggae and Jack Johnson type covers), but unfortunately we missed it.

We went to several spas in the evening, and one of them was so nice we went twice (Toya Spa), for a total of 5 hours! J and CM both had massages and full body scrubs with various Balinese herbs and spices, followed up by a flower filled bath for two.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Spa TimeSpa Time
Spa Time

The spa we went to had an outdoor pool, sauna, steam room, and jacuzzi.
Dinner at Bumbu BaliDinner at Bumbu Bali
Dinner at Bumbu Bali

This restaurant was so good, we went there twice!
Satay Anyone?Satay Anyone?
Satay Anyone?

Duck, beef, chicken, and pork
DecorationDecoration
Decoration

These were all over town, leftover from a recent festival.
Grilling Up Fresh Fish Grilling Up Fresh Fish
Grilling Up Fresh Fish

This is the reggae restaurant on Sanur Beach.
CM's NailsCM's Nails
CM's Nails

See the tiny flowers?


Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0873s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb