Day 14 - Tour day, or maybe not!


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
March 5th 2024
Published: March 5th 2024
Edit Blog Post

It was an earlier start for me today, as I have booked a private tour. I felt it was the best option to see more of Ubud as I only have 3 days here. It would be a shame to miss out! I set the alarm for 6:45. It wasn’t difficult to get up early, as I purposely went to bed early in preparation! I’m seriously not a morning person these days!

I had scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast. Then was ready for the driver to arrive at 8am.

I walked up the street to the ATM to get extra cash for the day, and also water, I’m making a concerted effort to drink lots! I will need cash to buy tickets for the entrance costs. I’m not sure if they all take card payments!

When I arrived back at the hotel Putu, my driver was already there waiting for me. Perfect!

The first stop is to go to Swing Heaven. I’ve seen pictures on the internet before I came, so this is on my, to do’ list! It’s about £30 to do, but I think worth it! I could have hired a floaty dress for the event, but didn’t think I needed the extras!

I did the small swing first, I was a little nervous, but it was fine. Then did the bigger one. By doing the small one first, you are more prepared! The whole event was also filled with endless static, yet beautifully dressed swings to make the most of the photo opportunity, but I very quickly got fed up of that part of it, so said no more photos thank you. I did enjoy the experience of the actual swings though.

Tegennungan waterfall and the adjoining temple was my next stop. Although, it did turn out to be my last for today!

I started the visit my climbing the endless steps down. I did have a passing thought that this would be a tough return journey! First I went to see the temple with the fresh water pool and fountains. At this point I was conscious of the beating sun on my head, I kept on drinking the water, not paying too much notice, as I was very keen to have a closer view of the waterfall. I continued going down the steps to the waterfall. It surely is amazing to see. I did notice that I was starting to feel a bit wuzzy in the head. I sat for a while, drank another bottle of water, thinking it would pass, but I knew….. I have a hell of a lot of steep steps to climb to get back to the car and driver! I started the climb, slow and steady. When I got about one third of the way….i started to absolutely pour with sweat, my head was spinning, I knew, I was on my way out! I sat on some steps in the shade, drinking my water, trying to bring myself back round. I slumped on the floor, for a while. Then…. I was a gonner! I’m not sure how long for, but I came round to a lovely German girl, and an Indian couple, but at that point I couldn’t get my words out, and felt like I was spinning. I had lost all sense of time at this point. They told me to drink the coke that they had got for me - to boost my sugar levels. I barely knew who I was at this point! I drank it, sat for a while longer, then was sure I wanted to throw up! The sweat was really like a running tap! I just kept apologising, and thanking them… as I was coming round enough to be able to speak by then! Then another man threw cold water over me… it was a shock, but that also helped a bit. I climbed about another third of the steps, before collapsing again! Then, luckily for me, an Australian guy, kind of took over the situation. He was kind of bossy, but in a very direct, helpful way in managing me! He stayed with me, and the German girl, for quite a while, as I started to improve again, he left, but he was soon back with a drink called Pocari Sweat. He instructed me through sipping the whole bottle, then made me wait a while longer before escorting me up the last bit of the stairs. There his wife was waiting for us. Honestly, they were so amazingly kind to me. I don’t think I would have made it back without them. We found my driver, I’m going straight back to the hotel. I can’t possibly do any more today!

I’ve got 3 bottles of Pocari Sweat to drink over the rest of the afternoon, then I’m going to test in my room with the A/C on! Then I must make an effort to eat better, and more often, even though I don’t feel hungry!

So I missed out on seeing The Goa Gajah Temple, and its carved mouth entry, or Gunungkaei temple complex. I was supposed to go to see them this afternoon, but am now on bed rest for the rest of today.

Putu will come back for me tomorrow to take me over to my next stop, Seminyak.

I had a really restful afternoon, then decided I should go out for food. The new promise to myself is to eat more! I bumped into Mabel and Dave, a couple that I met yesterday at breakfast! I sat for a while with them, catching up on my day, as they knew I was excited to be going on the tour today. Dave mentioned the altitude changes up at the big waterfall, then the penny dropped…. I wonder if that had an effect on my dodgy ears. I know I had had enough water, the food is questionable, but the ears and the pressure changes do make sense! But…. We’ll never know!

As I was getting ready to go out I noticed the swelling on my right eye and cheek bone. It looks like I may have smacked into the wall my way down! I’ve been holding ice on it. It still seems to be swelling, but I guess I will know more when I wake up in morning!! We will see!

I’m packing my stuff up again tonight, ready for moving over to Seminyak tomorrow. Putu is picking me up at 11am for the drive across to the beach side of Bali.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



5th March 2024

Oh Les hope you’re feeling better today, take care of yourself. I reckon you right about the altitude it will play havoc with your ears hun. Some more stunning photos Les, beautiful place. Go careful hun 😘
6th March 2024

The eye!
Hi Julie, I got up today, rue swollen and red.,,, it ok,,, not black… yet ha ha
24th March 2024

Bloody Hell!!!!! Glad your feeling better Les. I'm only just up to day 14. Catching up with a brew xxx

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb