Day 4


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Nusa Dua
October 6th 2009
Published: October 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 4
Today is our first full day at Nusa Dua. We opted for the breakfast buffet at the resort. We felt it was pricey at about $7.50 pp. We have been used to a deluxe complementary breakfast being brought to our room for the last few days. I guess we have gotten spoiled.
The menu options are a lot different also. The Balinese eat a “porrege” for breakfast that looks a lot like a thick rice soup. It is tasteless, white and they offer choices you can add in to your taste. The add ins are things such as cilantro, croutons, salt cured onions, dried mushrooms and a thick teriyaki sauce. Different because there is nothing sweet to add in.
There is also the fresh fruit, yogurt and omelets. Thank God!
Today we opted to go to the beach at the Grand Bali. It was nice to hang out and read. The weather was mild with a gentle breeze. Peter took a nice nap and it was nice to do nothing.
We ate dinner out of the resort. Down the street is a lively area full of shops and brightly lit restaurants. There are dozens of great choices here. It comes alive at night and is a fun place to go. The Russians and Europeans are here in droves puffing away on cigarettes.
We had spring rolls for an appetizer. Peter had a bowl of crab asparagus soup and ribs. I had tomato basil soup and a fantastic Greek salad. The bill was $17 USD. Killer!

Here a few crazy things I’ve learned about Bali I didn’t know till I visited:

There is no sugar substitute offered at any of the restaurants
.
Harley Davidson is a big deal here. You see the decal on cars, tee-shirts and signs. I haven’t seen the bike though!

Bali is very green. You see recycle bins saying “non organic waste” or “organic waste”
Also they give you ONE key when you check in.To have the electrical turn on in your room you have slide the card into a slot next to the door. When you leave the key is removed and the electric goes off! Smart!

We have yet to hear one American voice yet! No kidding! The tourists here are German, Russian, Aussie and Japanese!

The first thing the Balinese say to you after “Hello” is “Where are you going”? I have mentioned this earlier in the blog and was told about this before visiting this country but this still cracks me up! Even on the street when you make eye contact and say “hello” the question comes firing out! So funny! I give them an answer and then start asking them questions. There doesn’t seem to be anything too off limits. Really, these people love to talk and get to know you fast!

They ask where we’re from and most say “Ahh Obama”. I’ve also have heard Louis Armstrong, Cowboys, Vanna White, and Bruce Springsteen. Funny what they know us by.

No paper towels have been found in the bathrooms. Sense we are on the subject of bathrooms. All the bathrooms we have been in offer a little hand held sprayer for you to spray off after you do your business! I think I’m going to have Peter install one of these babies at the homestead! I’m thrilled we have yet to have to use a hole in the ground instead of a “Western” toilet.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb