Wildlife and Krishna.


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Denpasar
February 22nd 2010
Published: February 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Just before I arrived in Bali, my family here had a visitor. Toby heard Tasha call, “Daddy, there’s a turtle in the house”. And sure enough a turtle had plodded into the house from the street. Now they don’t live out in the wilds, this is Denpasar, but there is a small rice field across the street so he may have come from there.

For the last couple of weeks, poor ‘Timothy Turtle’ has been living in a small dry cement area with a few buckets of water poured over him from time to time and has been fed mango and broccoli. The usual diet for a turtle?

So yesterday was release day and Toby, Tasha and I set out to find a nice spot by a river, where there would be no possibility of people recapturing him. We had to drive around a fair bit but eventually found a small lane leading down to the river. The photos say the rest.

Coincidentally, the man who guided us down to the river was from a Krishna ashram near by, and he told us that a turtle was an avatar of Vishnu (a Hindu God) and Vishnu, as everybody knows is one of the three forms of Krishna, all good karma it would seem.

After the big freedom bit, we asked if we could go into the temple and, ah, it was like being back in India - a big incentive for me to start planning the next partr of my trip.

There are also a few photos from the Bali Bird and Reptile Park and a couple from the Chinese New Year celebrations at Tasha’s school.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



22nd February 2010

Great photos
Hey Beverley - what gorgeous photos! And how computer literate are you??? (Fancy knowing how to do that!) Keep em coming xx
23rd February 2010

Hi
I had not seen your grandchildren before in such a good photo. They are gorgeous! Now are you going to write the story of Timothy turtle? Toby looks remarkably healthy too!

Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0882s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb