Notes on Delhi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
October 17th 2012
Published: October 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

<br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;" />Not sure when I will have a chance to post this to the blog, or if I will be able to figure out to move it from I- pad notes to the blog, but will try. In Delhi airport, waiting for flight to Bhutan. No wifi access at the airport, though the airport is very new and modern-completed for the commonwealth games.<br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;" /><br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;" />Still processing much of what I have seen and heard. Always eye opening to see so many things from such a different perspective. The woman who took me shopping yesterday is probably in her 30's. university educated, excellent English. Her mother is a doctor,not sure about her father, but her grandfather was very involved in the independence movement. There are posters of him around Delhi. Her husband is an engineer, can't remember which sort. During the course of our time together yesterday I learnt that: her marriage was arranged, her daughter (7) may also have an arranged marriage, her husbsnd's parents chose his carrier path for him, including the type of engineering he would study, they spent two years living in San Fransisco, and chose to move back to Delhi before they had children. She said they did noit want their children to be American by birth, but it would be something they could choose when they grew up. She did not want to bring up children in the "plastic and cold society of the west", where family does not mean much. I asked how she dealt with the extreme poverty and abject misery of so many in her city, and how she explained to her kids. She looked rather startled, and told me it was part of life, and that on their birthdays, the kids gave sweets to the poor children, and that the temple takes care of many old people. I asked if it was not odd that people fed and watched over the cows loose all over the city, but humans slept on the sidewalk or the median between eight lanes of traffic, no was the answer. Schooling is critically important, even in lower grades, and one would never,ever think of not doing what a parent wanted you to do. I wondered if this was not a large responsibility for the parent, and she acknowledged it was. So very different approaches, both wanting the best for our kids.<br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;" /><br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;" />The fervour of worshipers in the Hindu temples is almost frightening. Reminded me of fundamentalist prayer meetings,with folks yelling and screaming.<br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;" /><br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;" />So very useful to be reminded that our I'd not the only way, and that the objectives are common,with different means.<br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;" /><br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;" />I was also reminded that one could live on the streets in Delhi all year round,which would be very u comfortable in Canada...true, that.<br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;" /><br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;" />The main Sikh temple in Delhi feeds 40 thousand a day..yup, 40 thousand. I asked three times,of three different people, cause I found the number so astonishing. The Ottawa Mission thinks they have a heavy load...<br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;" /><br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;" />Great to see new places, and the Taj is, as I said, heart achingly beautiful, but it is the questions and queries of my own patterns and assumptions that makes this adventure so interesting.<br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;" /><br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;" />Wonderful to hear from you. I will catch up on e-mails ASAP. Do love to hear from folks at home.

Advertisement



18th October 2012

my favorite thing about travel
is that it shows you those different perspectives. how interesting that you actually got to talk with someone... in many of my travels i've had so many questions but never had the opportunity to chat with anyone in the countries i was in, so what a wonderful thing to get to do!
21st October 2012

Talk about perspective
Deb, 40,000 meals a day! I have heard that the numbers of people in and on the streets is mind boggling. is that true? Do you see all kinds of awesome colors and fabrics in the saris and clothing? When does the yoga start? Sue
24th October 2012

Hi Sue
There have been yoga classes every day. Sometimes twice a day, or sometimes a meditation session. Colours in Delhi were intense, as was the poverty. Since the climate is always warm, sleeping in the street is doable year round.

Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb